Design opportunities digest: general opportunities and jobs

Amy Dinh

Apr 2, 2021, 12:57:14 PM4/2/21
to Community
Hi all,

Here's your roundup of general design opportunities, including fellowships, summer programs and courses, and more!

As a reminder, the weekly emails from me are now focused on opportunities from the broader design community. For opportunities and events that are sponsored by Jacobs, look out for the weekly emails sent out by Lauren Ardis to this list. Among the opportunities mentioned in her latest email is the Storytelling Through Your Design Portfolio workshop, led by two IDEO designers, happening *today* at 3pm!

General opportunities
  • 2021-2022 Chronicle Books: Graphic Design Fellowship (5/3)
  • Race, Redevelopment and Gentrification: Oakland’s Hoover Durant Library (Summer course)
  • Imagining Data virtual exhibition at Museum of Craft + Design
  • UC Berkeley Disc*2021 Application Portal Now Open
  • Equitable Job Searching Research Survey
Jobs
  • GSI Opportunity: Fung Fellowship, Fall 2021 and Spring 2022
  • 2021-2022 Chronicle Books: Graphic Design Fellowship (apply by 5/3)
TGIF!

Amy

Design Events
Storytelling Through Your Design Portfolio
Friday, April 2nd 3-4pm
Join Zahin Ali and James Zhou, both Senior Interaction Designers at IDEO Chicago, as they share their advice about effective storytelling through design portfolios. They will cover best practices for articulating your point of view as a designer, beyond the cookie-cutter methods of documenting project processes. They will also speak about the experience of working as an interaction designer/project member at IDEO and future directions that they see the design firm taking. This workshop is open to all Berkeley students who are interested in storytelling, design portfolio development, or design careers. Zahin is also available as a resource to all students in his role as a Jacobs Design Fellow

General opportunities
Race, Redevelopment and Gentrification: Oakland’s Hoover Durant Library

HUM 132AC 001 (#15721) / ENVDES 132AC 001 (#15723) / CYPLAN 190 001 (#15695)
Summer Session C: June 21 – Aug. 13, 2021
MWF 1 – 5 pm
4 units, Humanities Studio Course
Instructor: Lynne Horiuchi
Watch info session recording here.

For several decades, West Oakland residents have been working to establish the Hoover-Durant Library in their neighborhood as a center for community and culture.  In this course, you will work collaboratively with community members to conduct research and create products such as plans and oral histories that advance their cause. You will engage intellectually and personally with issues of race and privilege and examine systemically entrenched inequities through the story of one neighborhood. Through time spent in the neighborhood and with its activists, you will learn about local needs and strengths and collaborate with residents in ways that benefit their project. The course work will be framed by the work of scholars of color who study the intersection of race, architecture and urbanism. You will learn to use and organize archives, research potential sites for the library, and may create events such as a popup library or zine workshop.

Additional information on this course can be found at Berkeley Academic Guide.

Questions? Contact Dr. Horiuchi at  clhor...@gmail.com.

Imagining Data virtual exhibition at Museum of Craft + Design

Over the years data has become a buzzword, and a precious commodity—what we divulge through online activity is more valuable than the purchases and transactions we may be making. Our current status—personal, societal, political, environmental—can be described in terms of numbers and algorithms. Even the Covid-19 pandemic has made statistics an international obsession as we follow contagion, spikes, vaccine efficacy rates, and hospital capacities.

Guest curated by Ginger Duggan and Judy Fox of c2-curatorsquared, Imagining Data presents a selection of artists from around the world, who are showing what data can look like, in paintings, drawings, sculpture, audio-visual installation, fashion, and even performance. Data visualization is a discipline unto itself and is by no means a new way of making art. The artists showcased in this exhibition are developing systems to transform data into images, rationalizing the image-making process while creating resonating works of art. Participating artists and designers and their data-inspired work are divided into four subject areas: Natural/Environmental ConditionsPersonal BiometricsCommunal Movement, and Randomized Content.

UC Berkeley Disc*2021 ☀ Application Portal Now Open
Disc*2021 is an immersive virtual summer program that explores an interdisciplinary and multi-scalar approach to design and analysis in the urban environment. Disc* participants engage in the discourses of urban innovation and develop creative solutions to tackle the increasingly urgent challenges global cities face today.

As we continue the virtual learning format this summer, the Disc* curriculum will utilize immersive technology - including virtual and augmented reality - to explore the potential of digital platforms for creativity and collaboration. Disc* will combine online visual communication tools with synchronous and asynchronous instruction to create a cohesive and rigorous learning environment that is accessible to every student. All participants who satisfy the program requirements will receive a Certificate of Completion and credit on an official UC Berkeley transcript.

Learn more about Disc* here: http://bit.ly/disc2021summer.

Equitable Job Searching Research Survey
Job Searching Survey: 25$ Amazon Gift Card Prize!
Our team at UC Berkeley is working on a UX/UI project, and we need your help gathering user research! By completing a short 5 minute survey, you will be entered into a $25 Amazon gift card raffle while also helping us understand more about our project. Your help is extremely valuable towards our project and is greatly appreciated!
You can access our survey at: https://skfl.ly/survey-a1

Community Jobs
GSI Opportunity: Fung Fellowship, Fall 2021 and Spring 2022
The Fung Fellowship is hiring advanced graduate students to join our team as Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs) starting Fall 2021 for 25% positions for three upper level undergraduate student courses: (1) Health + Tech and (2) Conservation +Tech, and (3) FF Honors Program. The positions are for Fall 2021 with the opportunity to continue into Spring 2022.

HOW TO APPLY:

  1. Learn more about the program at: https://fungfellows.berkeley.edu/

  2. Please apply by completing this online application form: https://forms.gle/fv6n53nHW5b1SxZn7

  3. Please email a copy of your CV to FF_GSI_.cgcx...@u.box.com, that includes your first and last name in the file name.

  4. We will begin interviewing candidates on a rolling basis and would like to find a good fit by the end of April.

  5. Questions? Please contact Program Director, Jennifer Mangold at jman...@berkeley.edu

More information/requirements can be viewed below in the attached pdf!

2021-2022 Chronicle Books: Graphic Design Fellowship

We are thrilled to announce that we are accepting submissions for the 2021-2022 Chronicle Books Graphic Design Fellowship Program!

We’re hiring two designers to gain hands-on experience designing for the publishing world. Both Fellowships are full-time paid positions for 12-months, which include health benefits and vacation. These jobs will be remote until it is deemed safe by the CDC and state of California to return to company headquarters in San Francisco.

Applications are due on Monday, May 3, 2021. Learn more.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Share your design interests and questions via drop-in advisingemail, or scheduled appointment

COVID-19 updates:
  • I am working remotely while shelter-in-place orders are in effect. Please do not hesitate to contact me remotely during this time.
  • Updates regarding Jacobs programs & operations can be found here
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here
GSI Opportunity_ Fung Fellowship, Fall 2021.pdf