Design opportunities digest - November 8, 2022 📝

Amy Dinh

Nov 8, 2022, 1:12:54 PM11/8/22
to Community

Hello Jacobs Community,

Here is this week's design opportunities digest, with interesting research, learning, and event opportunities. This digest is going out a few days early because I was unable to send one last week, and also to remind everyone who is eligible to vote that today is Election Day! It is not too late to cast your vote but it is the final day to do so.

PSA

  • Today is Election Day--Time to Vote!

General Opportunities

  • VR Research Study on Design Space Exploration

  • Product Design Fundamentals DeCal Spring 2022

Events

  • Ticket to the Metaverse (November 10)

  • PHD in Technical HCI Office Hours (November 11)

  • Women in Leadership and Design (WILD) Meetup (November 11)

  • Laurel Lawson: Art Is an Experience: UX, Access, and Equity (December 1)

PSA

Today is Election Day--Time to Vote!

If you are eligible to vote in the United States, today (November 8th) is the last day to cast your vote! Don't miss out on your change to shape--dare we say design--your government at the
 local, state, and federal levels.

California and Alameda County voters, you can find more information about what is on the ballot, as well as how to drop off your ballot and/or vote in person, at the links below. The nearest in-person voting center to campus is at Anna Head Hall and it will be open until 8pm. You can also cast a provisional ballot in California if you missed the registration deadline.

General Opportunities

VR Research Study on Design Space Exploration

We are looking for participants to participate in a study regarding design space exploration in VR (virtual reality).

Participants will be asked to complete:
  • 2 in-person design tasks
  • A survey
Participants will be compensated:
  • $25 via an Amazon gift card
Time commitment:
  • 1 hour
Eligibility
  • 18 years old and above
  • At least some design experience preferred (e.g., have taken or are taking a design course)
  • No VR experience required

Participation is completely voluntary. If you are interested, please enter your email in the following form: https://forms.gle/c5TYF4BELUvax8729. You will be sent further details and instructions on how to schedule a time to participate in the study.

Product Design Fundamentals DeCal Spring 2022

Dimitri Knight and other designers who previously designed at Cash-app will be teaching the fundamentals of visual design, prototyping, cross-functional collaboration, critiques, animation, copywriting, product thinking, storytelling, and more. Reach out to Dimitri Knight and Jordan Singer for any questions and if you are interested in becoming a teaching assistant.

Events

Ticket to the Metaverse (November 10)

Speaker: Said Bakadir, Qualcomm AR/VR Product Management Lead
Title: Ticket to the Metaverse
Time: Thursday, Nov 10 from 2-3:30pm

Everyone is talking about the Metaverse, but what is it? Ready player One like, or something else? What problem does it solve…? More important, is it real? If so when and how will it be accessible to everyone?... This talk is journey of an attempt to describe the new transformation giving birth to Metaverse, how XR is enabling the best of it, the challenges ahead to bring it to scale.

Please find the Zoom link here:
Meeting ID: 957 1290 9252
Passcode: arvrclass

PhD in Technical HCI Office Hours (November 11)

This event is designed for students who are in the process of applying for PhD positions and would like to ask faculty questions about anything related to it. For students who are in the process of applying for PhD positions this is an opportunity to ask faculty any questions! The list of faculty and open question form is here

This will be on November 11, from 10:00 am- 11:am ET via this zoom link

Women in Leadership and Design (WILD) Meetup (November 11)

Join us on Friday, November 11 at 5pm at Fort Mason’s Off The Grid for the final Women in Leadership and Design (WILD) in-person meetup of this year! Stop by the food trucks for some post-work drinks and bites and then join us at the picnic tables by Building D in the Fort Mason Center lot. We are excited to reconnect with like-minded women and non-binary leaders in the San Francisco/Bay Area design community. Kids and pets welcome — see you there!

Women in Leadership & Design (WILD) is an initiative of AIGA San Francisco. Our mission is to amplify women and non-binary designers’ collective power and visibility. We mobilize and energize impact in design leadership by focusing our work on connecting, elevating, sharing, and educating designers in our community.

Laurel Lawson: Art Is an Experience: UX, Access, and Equity (December 1)

Grounded in disabled understandings of the value of multiplicity of embodiment and experience, choreographer, designer, and engineer Laurel Lawson’s talk moves from transdisciplinary artmaking and decentered design practice to equitable aesthetic accessibility and technology ethics and leadership.

This Event will be held on Thursday, December 1, from 12:45 pm to 2:00 pm in the BAMPFA Osher Theater. To learn more about Lauren Lawson and further event details, see here

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here