Design opportunities digest

Amy Dinh

Dec 15, 2021, 2:05:56 PM12/15/21
to Community
Hi all,

For those who have finished up with final exams and projects, congratulations for making it through this crazy semester! For those of you who are still wrapping up, good luck! You're almost there. Regardless of which category you are in, I hope that you have a relaxing, sleep-filled, well-earned winter break awaiting you.

Below is this week's design opportunities digest, with fun opportunities to check out over winter break as well as courses, programs, and internships in 2022 that you can apply to now. The pace of Jacobs community emails will slow down during the winter break since the Jacobs staff will also take a break, but you may still hear from us occasionally.

Design events
  • Create Entwined 2.0 LED Patterns at the San Francisco Golden Gate Park (12/19)
Design general opportunities
  • Spring 2022 course: The Art of Public Health (PBHLTH 290 012)
  • Fung Fellowship applications open to rising juniors & seniors! (2/18)
  • Health Tech 2021- 2022 CoLab Cohort
Design jobs
  • Art, Thrive Intern @ Duolingo (1/22)
See you all again next year!

Amy

Design events
Workshop: Create Entwined 2.0 LED Patterns at the San Francisco Golden Gate Park
Entwined is an installation by Charles Gadeken composed of 2000 LED lights decorating large metal trees and shrubs. Learn how to build patterns for this installation so that your signature style can be on display for all of San Francisco to enjoy!

Create a whimsical wonderland where visitors can explore twisting paths, colorful trees to sit under, large flowering clusters to run around and admire, and constantly changing vistas of light and magic. Inspired by nature, this interactive art installation will connect and enchant visitors of all ages.

In this workshop, we will teach you the foundations you’ll need to be able to write LX Studio patterns for Entwined Meadows. Some familiarity with Java or any object-oriented programming is required, as we’ll be using Processing. You’ll need is a computer with a stable internet connection, Chrome, and a Google login account. Get a head start by having some fun ideas of what you think would make some great patterns!

Design general opportunities
The Art of Public Health (PBHLTH 290 012)
Jaspal S. Sandhu & Somalee Banerjee
Tuesdays 4-6 PM, Spring 2022

The Art of Public Health is a brand new, multidisciplinary, interactive, making-based course to introduce students to the variety of ways that Art shapes Public Health practice. Each week, students will be introduced to novel intersections between the arts and public health through curated resources, guest speakers, small-group discussions, site visits, and interactive workshops. The course is organized into three major modules, each relating to the respective intention of art: Communication (behavior change), Advocacy (systems change), and Community (building and healing). Regular creative exercises will culminate in a public gallery show for the campus community.

Guest speakers will include Phung Huynh, Favianna Rodriguez, Yoko Kiyoi, Lonny Brooks, and Lori Dorfman. We are working with the Berkeley Art Museum on a couple collabs, one involving the Eli Leon collection, the largest collection of African-American quilts in the world – including work by Rosie Lee Tompkins.

This is a 3-unit, graduate-level course to be taught in Spring 2022. Exceptional undergraduates may be admitted on an individual basis. We anticipate space for 25 students. We encourage those with deep experience in the arts, crafting, and making to participate, but we welcome students with no such experience.

Learn more here or in the attached flyer: https://innovate.berkeley.edu/art

Fung Fellowship applications open to rising juniors & seniors!
As the end of the semester draws closer, we wanted to share the exciting news that the Fung Fellowship application for the 2022-23 academic year is now open! Our applications are due Friday, February 18, 2022 and that we are now accepting applications from Class of 2023 rising juniors AND Class of 2022 rising seniors.

What is the Fung Fellowship?
The Fung Fellowship is a unique opportunity for rising juniors and seniors to create impact-driven solutions to address real-world challenges alongside our community and industry partners. Fung Fellows utilize the iterative human-centered design process, interdisciplinary tactics, and emerging technology in both of our offered tracks: Conservation + Tech and Health + Tech.

Information to apply:
  1. Learn more about the program at: fungfellows.berkeley.edu
  2. Stay tuned for more info regarding our infosessions on February 2 and February 9, 2022! We will offer both remote and in-person options.
  3. Sign up for our interest form: bit.ly/FF22-interest
  4. Access the application: bit.ly/ffapp2022-23
  5. Deadline to apply: Friday, February 18, 2022 at 11:59pm PST
Learn more in this flyer.

Health Tech 2021- 2022 CoLab Cohort
The Health Tech CoLab is a new 3000 square foot collaboration space designed to advance the development of medical tools and devices to facilitate healthcare in low-resource settings. We are a collaborative space that supports student teams working on medical devices, diagnostic, and digital health tools that increase access to health care.

We are now accepting applications to the 2021- 2022 CoLab Cohort where teams will have a guaranteed work space (for up to a year!), access to prototyping facilities and conference rooms, and access to our CoLab Community. We are accepting applications on a rolling basis until all 6 spots are filled, so apply ASAP!

Learn more about the Health Tech Colab and How to Apply! If you have any questions feel free to reach out to me at kbre...@berkeley.edu (Karenna, manager of Health Tech CoLab).

Design jobs
Art, Thrive Intern @ Duolingo
Pittsburgh, PA
Application Deadline: January 18, 2022

Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that’s where you come in!

The Duolingo Thrive Program is an immersive 8-week summer training program that provides second-year students from underrepresented communities the opportunity to develop their art skills and experience what it’s like to work at Duolingo.

As part of the Thrive Program, you’ll spend the summer learning the fundamentals of Art at Duolingo. You’ll work with our Studio Artists and other trainees to complete a project that will sharpen your art and problem solving skills while receiving hands-on technical training, mentorship, and professional development. We’ll provide you with support and guidance to advance your skillset as you make a real impact on one of the Duolingo products.

More information on our University Programs can be found at university.duolingo.com

What you’ll do...

  • Work with a small group to complete a challenging, real-world project.
  • Develop your technical skills through hands-on training, workshops, and guest lectures.
  • Receive coaching and mentorship from a Duolingo Studio Artist.
  • Build lasting relationships with others who share a passion for making the best education universally available.

What we’re looking for…

  • Second-year undergraduate student currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Illustration, Animation, or a related technical field.
  • Completion of at least two college-level design courses (please upload your official or unofficial transcript).
  • Experience illustrating and/or animating in creative software such as Figma, AfterEffects, Animate, Photoshop, or other comparable software
  • Available for a full-time 8-week internship from June 13 to August 5.

Must have a portfolio of relevant projects to be considered for application. Learn more and apply here.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

COVID-19 updates:
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
  • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here
ARTPUBH_POSTER_small.jpg