Design opportunities digest

Amy Dinh

Apr 14, 2021, 7:42:07 PM4/14/21
to Community

Hi Jacobs community,

We have a packed design opportunities digest this week, with general opportunities, jobs and events from our broader design community! A couple of the opportunities are not targeted at college students (like the high school design contest or the FT work opportunities at Accenture), but I am including them just in case there are some folks subscribed to this list who might be eligible and interested, or know someone who is.

Also, I've included a public service announcement regarding the decent data security breach that involved UC Berkeley data, to help triple-underline the University's message that you should take precautions to protect your confidential information, using the free services and advice provided below.

General opportunities
  • Design at Berkeley: Officer Board Applications Open! (due 4/22)
  • San Francisco Design Week Proposals (5/7)
  • Get Published in Design Museum Magazine
  • African American Studies Summer Courses
  • Cal Academy of Sciences High School Diversity x Design Poster Contest
Community jobs
  • Human by Design 2021 Design and Wellness Fellowship (due 4/15)
  • The Orchard Program @ Apple
  • Part-time virtual facilitators for SMASH Berkeley
  • Digital Experiences team at Accenture Labs is hiring!
Community events
  • Black Designers Ignite: Redesign Our City, Speak on It (4/18)
    Best,

    Amy

    PSA
    Data Security Breach

    As the Chancellor informed us recently, the University of California is one of 300 organizations targeted by a nationwide cyberattack. Confidential student information (including social security numbers and bank account information) may be at risk, which could hurt your ability to get a credit card or car loan. If you have dependents (spouse/partner, children), their information may also be at risk. Protect yourself TODAY:

    General opportunities
    Design at Berkeley: Officer Board Applications Open!
    Officer Board Applications are open!! Join us as we shape the future of Design at Berkeley!

    Design at Berkeley is a student organization with a mission of fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and diverse community and making design accessible for everyone. Through events, collaborations, resources, and workshops, we strive to empower students from all backgrounds and skill levels at Berkeley to learn design, in all its forms, together.

    We’re currently recruiting for Operations, External, Marketing, and Community positions to strengthen our initiatives and create even more design opportunities for the community.
    If you’re a designer of any kind who shares our passion for our mission, are willing to take initiative, and are excited about shaping the future of Design at Berkeley, we encourage you to apply!

    Details + Application
    designatberkeley.com/FA21boardapps
    Deadline: Thursday 4/22 @ 11:59PM PDT

    San Francisco Design Week Proposals
    Now accepting proposals for the 2021 Summer Edition of San Francisco Design Week and Submissions are now open for the Innovation Awards!

    For our 15th Edition we’re looking to push past the traditional online programming (think heads bobbing on the screen and an endless supply of slides). We all have screen fatigue but by June while California will hopefully be looking a little more normal, we can’t guarantee the pandemic (or the city) will allow for face to face gathering. Instead, we’re pushing the boundaries of online programming to create more engaging content for 2021. Get creative and find ways to communicate your experience, knowledge or message by engaging attendees in a more energetic way. Contact us for a free brainstorming session or guidance on how to best approach your event and make the most out of your participation! Learn more and submit a proposal.

    Entries for the prestigious San Francisco Design Week Awards will be judged by a jury composed of leading Bay Area design professionals; those selected will be showcased and have a permanent presence on the SF Design Week Awards website. Learn more and enter a submission

    Get Published in Design Museum Magazine
    Want to see your ideas published in Design Museum Magazine? We want your suggestions on where design can make the most impact in our current educational systems. Selected responses will appear in the Q&A and/or recommendations section of the upcoming issue. Submit your suggestions for design impact in education.

    African American Studies Summer Courses

    The African American Studies department has several courses open for enrollment this summer; the first and third courses in the list below may especially interest Jacobs students and more info can be found in the attached flyers.

    AFRICAM 139. 1 : Blk + Wimmin + Cyborgs

    TTh 12-2PM | Class #15351 | Session A
    Instructor: Mal ika Saramaat Imhotep

    This course approaches these questions through critical engagements with literary and popular representations of the black woman as a cyborg, an entity who is both human and machine. While Donna Haraway has argued that the cyborg is a figure without an origin story, this course sets out to trouble that notion by paying close attention to the ways ‘feminist cyborg theory’ intersects with the concerns of Black Studies. Pulling from a range of media texts from the speculative fiction of Octavia Butler to the unapologetically vulgar videos of Lil Kim, this course utilizes black feminist theory and creative production to explore the relationship between the black female body and technology.

    AFRICAM 139.2 : Global Landscapes of New African Slavery
    TTh 10AM- 12PM | Class #15352 | Session A
    Instructor: G. Ugo Nwokej
    Millions of Africans are held in bondage today conditions worldwide in conditions that fit what is generally referred as new or contemporary slavery. What do we mean by “new slavery” and how does it compare with historical understandings of slavery? Is this slavery even new? How do we rise beyond the oft-exaggerated reports from the NGOs? Can we describe the conditions of most “new slaves” in the same terms we do of the enslaved Africans in the Americas? While answering these basic questions, this course aims will examine the dimensions, patterns and characteristics of new slavery in the context of changing political economies, review the anti-slavery campaign and attempt an explanation of the persistence of slavery despite these efforts.

    AFRICAM 159.1 : Blackness, Technology, and Network Infrastructure
    TTh 2-4PM | Class #14253 | Session A
    Instructor: Rashad A Timmons
    In this course, we will explore historical relationships between blackness, technology, network infrastructure, and the law. Beginning from the imbrication of slavery with industrial and modern development in the nineteenth-century United States and culminating in an exploration of black cultural production and political mobilization in the present, this course seeks to demonstrate the centrality of technology and infrastructure in the social and political lives of black peoples.

    Cal Academy of Sciences High School Diversity x Design Poster Contest

    Bay Area high school students are invited to create a poster that celebrates diversity in science, focused on one of five themesThe contest runs from April 7 through September 7, 2021, and results will be announced in October.

    Because the design and science worlds do not adequately reflect our diverse communities, we especially encourage submissions from anyone who self-identifies as Indigenous, Black, Hispanic, or Latino/a—although all students are welcome to participate.

    Learn more: https://calacademy.org/diversity-x-design-student-poster-contest

    Community jobs

    Human by Design 2021 Design and Wellness Fellowship

    Perkins Eastman designs for people. We design to enhance the human experience and leave a lasting and positive impact on people’s lives and the world we inhabit. To that end, we are interested in sponsoring creative individuals who are interested in design research around the connection between wellness and design in the built environment. An evolving dialogue on how design can enhance people’s lives will be advanced.

    Goal: Explore the connection between design and wellness through research and project work.

    Focus:

    • Urban design and social connectiveness
    • Learning environments and wellness
    • Workplace wellness and perception
    Fellowship:
    Perkins Eastman will select up to three students for a paid fellowship between June & August in our New York and Washington DC studios. Each fellow will develop their own projects with the guidance and participation of Perkins Eastman design staff.

    Submission Details:
    Applications DUE Friday, April 15, 2021 – 5:00 PM PST

    Learn more and apply here

    The Orchard Program @ Apple
    The Orchard is a 12 month residency program within the Marketing Communications group at Apple.

    It’s where fresh creative talent comes to Apple to learn and grow. The individuals in the Orchard come from different backgrounds. It’s a team of people just as hungry and talented as you are, working on real projects with real deadlines. Orchard 5.0 is looking for the bold, the adventuresome, the curious, the makers, the doers. We are looking for our next group of designers, strategists, interactive and brand art directors and copywriters, brand managers, CG creatives, video producers, web developers and UX Designers.

    We’re looking for you. Respond by May 10. Apply here

    Part-time virtual facilitators for SMASH Berkeley
    SMASH invests long-term in first-gen, low-income, HS students of color on their journey to+through college & STEM careers, at absolutely no cost to students. We traditionally host students for a 5-week residential academy for 3 summers on campus (UC Berkeley & Stanford for Bay Area), BUTwe are serving students virtually until it is safe for us to return to our original program model.

    SMASH Berkeley roles available (click for job descriptions + application):
    STEM Workshop Facilitator + To&Through (College Readiness) Facilitator (These roles are listed separately but I strongly prefer to hire folks who are able to double up for these two courses. Opportunity to make ~$5k for part-time work over 7-weeks more or less).

    Here is our flyer!

    Please reach out to Anne SawirisSite Director, at an...@smash.org if you have any questions.

    Digital Experiences team at Accenture Labs is hiring!
    We’re looking for researchers with PhDs or MSs who are interested in, and have a track record of, driving applied research into the impact of emerging technologies on people and businesses. Our research currently focuses on the intersection of various kinds of AI (ex: computer vision, machine learning, GPT-3 text generation) and emerging social practices, but our focus changes regularly so flexibility is important. Current projects include: AI assistants for designers and engineers, the experience of livestreamers, AI and Retail, and synthetic data generation for machine learning. Computational design/generative design experience a big plus, but not a requirement. We welcome applications from folks with either a technical focus or a more social research perspective.

    Click here for the link to apply.

    If you have any questions email me directly at michael....@accenture.com.

    Community events
    Black Designers Ignite: Redesign Our City, Speak on It
    Sunday (4/18) Redesign Our City, Speak On It is going down at 1:00pm ET on Crowdcast. Join us for 11 ignite talks and 3 panel discussions hosted by 2020 speaker and Detroit Bawselady, Melinda MeMe Anderson. We are igniting change in our cities and hope you'll tune in for this 3-hour event!

    --
    Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
    pronouns: she/her/hers

    Share your design interests and questions via drop-in advisingemail, or scheduled appointment

    COVID-19 updates:
    • I am working remotely while shelter-in-place orders are in effect. Please do not hesitate to contact me remotely during this time.
    • Updates regarding Jacobs programs & operations can be found here
    • Updates and support for Berkeley students can be found here
    AFAM 139.1.pdf
    AFAM 139.2.pdf
    AFAM 159.1.pdf

    Amy Dinh

    Apr 20, 2021, 6:07:54 PM4/20/21
    to Community
    Hi Jacobs community,

    I hope that all of you are doing well so far this week. Here is a collection of opportunities at Berkeley to get involved with the design community, through volunteering to help people access COVID-19 vaccines, joining a student club, participating in a paid survey, or coming to an event. Read on below for details.

    General Opportunities
    • Participate in a Paid Study on Human-AI Interaction in Engineering Design!
    • Design@Berkeley Office Board Applications (due 4/22)
    • Seeking Volunteers for Shotline, COVID-19 Vaccine Access Equity Project
    Community Events
    • Design@Berkeley: Final General Meeting (4/22)
    • Berkeley MEng Presents: Capstone Showcase 2021 (5/6)
    Best,

    Amy

    General Opportunities
    Participate in a Paid Study on Human-AI Interaction in Engineering Design!

    We are looking for people to participate in a human-AI collaboration study. In this study, participants will be asked to collaborate with an AI to design truss structures.

    This study will take about an hour, and the participants will receive a $20 Amazon e-card for their participation.

    Who: Undergraduate or graduate mechanical or civil engineering students who have completed a mechanics course

    Where: Online zoom session *You will need a working computer/laptop.

    When: A variety of dates to choose from in April. ~1hr time commitment

    Participation in this study is entirely voluntary. If you are interested in participating, please head over to the following link: https://forms.gle/cNE1v37Mv2KH7K117

[...]

    One of the spring Jacobs Innovation Catalysts grant recipientsShotlinemade the news earlier this month for their efforts in working with community partners and volunteers to help schedule vaccine appointments for communities with technological barriers. The team has helped nearly 100 people schedule COVID vaccine appointments so far, and are looking to add to their volunteer base as the word about their efforts continues to spread. Read more about their work on The Daily Cal, and sign up to volunteer here

    Community Events

    Design @ Berkeley: Final General Meeting

    Our final General Meeting Design [Conversations]: Inclusion and Community is hosted with the SB Creative Lab on April 22nd at 6pm PDT! Guest panelists will join us for an open conversation about accessibility and workplace inclusion within the design community and industry. After our panel, we’ll be a hosting a cross-social between Berkeley and SB designers, so hop on for 20 minutes of doodles, friends, and vibes!

    RSVP at https://lu.ma/SBxUCB

    Berkeley MEng Presents: Capstone Showcase 2021

    We are excited to share the 10th annual UC Berkeley Master of Engineering (MEng) Capstone Showcase will take place on Thursday, May 6, 2021 from 6-8pm PDT.

    The two-hour virtual event, free and open to the public, will feature Berkeley MEng teams sharing the results of their capstone projects. See where the future of engineering is headed by uncovering the research projects created over the course of the academic year.  Enjoy the access to the latest in dynamic and collaborative engineering for a truly unique, one-of-a-kind experience.

    Please register to attend the event by Tuesday, May 4th, 11:59pm PDT.
    1150x450__2021_CapstoneShowcase_Website.png
    TOGETHER SLICE.png