Upcoming@Jacobs: grant cohort intro, Design Field Notes, ASE roles, spring courses

Amy Dinh

Oct 20, 2022, 12:53:40 PM10/20/22
to Community

Dear Jacobs Community,

This week's Jacobs news includes an introduction to our current student grant cohort, information about this week's Design Field Notes speaker, and reminders about design courses and ASE roles for the spring semester.

Cheers!

Amy

INNOVATION CATALYSTS FALL 2022 COHORT
Congratulations to our Fall 2022 Innovation Catalysts grant recipients! The Jacobs Institute Innovation Catalysts is a grant program that helps Berkeley’s student innovators unlock potential in their projects. Six groups were selected for our Ignite grant, which awards student groups up to $2000 to continue in-progress projects; and four groups were selected for our Spark grant, which offers up to $500 for early-stage project ideas.

This semester’s cohort includes undergraduates, masters, and PhD students, as well as students from the Berkeley Master of Design (MDes) program. The grantees will present their projects at the end of the semester at the Jacobs Design Showcase (December 7-9).

Learn more about the Innovation Catalysts program here and sign up here to get grant program updates, including when the application for the spring 2023 cohort opens in November.

OCT 20: DESIGN FIELD NOTES w/ DJ SANGHERA
The Jacobs Design Field Notes speaker series invites a dynamic group of designers, artists, and academics in design-related fields to share their work and practice. This fall semester, the series is held virtually on Thursdays 1-2pm. Each talk is free and open to all students and members of the public. View the full speaker lineup. This week's speaker event is:

Strategy, Slow hunches, and Stumbling Forward
DJ Sanghera, Concept Strategy, Futures Innovation, Lululemon
Thursday, October 20 | 1-2pm | Join the talk with this Zoom link

DJ Sanghera is a designer, engineer, and incessantly curious tinkerer focused on solving problems that matter. He’s helped invent and design products and solutions for some of the largest companies in the world in industries ranging from consumer electronics to healthcare. Currently he is exploring, defining, evaluating, and (in)validating hypotheses to invent meaningful new-to-world concepts at the intersection of wellbeing and technology with Lululemon’s Futures Innovation team.

SPRING 2023 ASE ROLES FOR DES INV COURSES
Each semester, the Jacobs Institute hires dedicated, knowledgeable graduate students to serve as academic student employees (ASEs) for the Design Innovation (DES INV) courses. Available roles range from graduate student instructors (GSIs), readers, and tutors, depending on the course. Applications for the spring 2023 course ASE roles are now open. More information about the available roles and instructions on how to apply are provided on the Jacobs website. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning immediately, until positions are filled--with the goal of filling all positions by November 7, 2022.

Please reference the FAQ at the end of the Jacobs ASE page for general information about Jacobs ASE hiring. Other questions that are not addressed in the FAQ can be directed to Aleta Martinez.

SPRING 2023 JACOBS COURSE LIST
A range of courses take place in Jacobs Hall. The Jacobs Institute’s expert instructors offer interdisciplinary Design Innovation (DES INV) courses, which include both lower-division entry points to design skills and project-based capstone experiences. Jacobs Hall also hosts affiliated courses from other departments and student-led DeCals that also explore design and contribute to our interdisciplinary community.

The Jacobs course page has now been updated for spring 2023 with DES INV courses and affiliated courses (DeCals have not yet been finalized but will be posted to the DeCal website when ready). For questions about enrollment in DES INV courses, please consult our course enrollment policies.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here