News and Events at Jacobs!

Lauren Ardis

Oct 14, 2021, 7:55:01 PM10/14/21
to jacobs_c...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu, mdes...@lists.berkeley.edu

Hello Jacobs Community,

I hope you've all had a great week. This week's email includes reminders about upcoming events—like our Halloween workshops!—and approaching deadlines. I'm also including a link to the news post from Monday about Indigenous Peoples' Day, which includes a history of the holiday, resources, courses, and information about the UC Berkeley Land Acknowledgement.

Have a great weekend,
Lauren

NEWS AND EVENTS

HONORING INDIGENOUS PEOPLES' DAY
Did you know that the city of Berkeley was the first to recognize Indigenous Peoples' Day? Berkeley became the first city to celebrate the holiday in 1992, out of protest to the 500th anniversary of Columbus's arrival to the United States. Check out our news post from Monday to learn more about the upcoming courses for spring 22 that focus on the artistic, technological, and design contributions of Indigenous Peoples. You'll also find a list of resources—including a list of Indigenous graphic designers from our recent Design Field Notes Speaker, Neebin Southall.

Please take a moment to learn more about the Ohlone Land that UC Berkeley is situated on from the UC Berkeley Land Acknowledgement.

HALLOWEEN WORKSHOPS
Visit our Halloween news post to learn about all of the ways you can celebrate the spooky season with Jacobs. Here are two upcoming workshops!

🎃 SPOOKY DIGITS: A GHASTLY LIFECASTING PRIMER WORKSHOP
Friday 10/22, 1–4 PM in Jacobs 10C

Have you ever wanted to make a cast of your own finger? Then join Adam Hutz for his lifecasting workshop, "reproducing the (sur)real in Jacobs Hall!"

🎃 DESIGN YOUR OWN 3D PRINTED PUMPKIN WORKSHOP
Sunday 10/24, 11:30 AM–1 PM online
Register here

Join our Student Supervisor Aashray Manchada for a beginner's tutorial on 3D modeling and learn how to design your own customized pumpkin. You'll be able to have it 3D printed at Jacobs Hall using your Maker Pass or JPS!

MDes INFO SESSIONS AND STUDENT PANELS
The Berkeley Master of Design (MDes) is hosting two Information Sessions and Student Panels in the next week. Meet MDes students and learn about their dynamic experience in the Berkeley MDes. Join a virtual session to hear first-hand what they are excited about in the program and at UC Berkeley. Please visit their Admissions Events page for the complete list of upcoming events through the rest of the year.

INFORMATION SESSION & STUDENT PANEL
Friday, 10/15, 9–10 AM

 INFORMATION SESSION & STUDENT PANEL @ BERKELEY GRADUATE DIVERSITY FAIR
Wednesday 10/20, 5–6 PM

WELCOME BACK, DESIGN FELLOW JAEWOO CHUNG!
We are pleased to welcome back Jaewoo Chung, Ph.D. to our Design Fellows Team! Jaewoo is a UX leader and technologist, trained in the field of UX Design, Computer Science, Music Composition, and Psychology. Learn more and contact him here.

ASE ROLES AT JACOBS
Jacobs Institute is hiring ASE roles! More information about the available roles and instructions on how to apply are provided on the Jacobs website.  Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning immediately, until positions are filled. Before applying, please review information about the course, including meeting time and content, through the links provided on the website and ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to be an ASE, especially if you are applying to be a first-time GSI.

Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning immediately, with the goal of filling all positions by early November.  If you have any questions, please contact Aleta Martinez at al...@berkeley.edu.