Herp Group Monday, November 22nd

Marvalee H. WAKE

Nov 17, 2021, 12:44:45 AM11/17/21
to herp...@lists.berkeley.edu

Hi, All,

This coming Monday, November 22nd, we will be joined by Elizabeth Jockusch, Professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Connecticut.

The title of her talk is: "The history of a side project (a cautionary tale starring Batrachoseps)”

Dr. Jockusch did her doctoral work here in the NVZ and IB, and has subsquently developed a broad and diverse research program in evolutionary biology at Connecticut (see description below).  We emphasize, though, that she knows Herp Group well, and her dissertation work was on phenotypic variation in Batrachoseps, and she has continued to work on that genus throughout her career. She will tell us about it, and it’s a splendid journey.

Elizabeh’s website description of her research program on her lab website says:

“Research in the Jockusch lab is aimed at documenting patterns of phenotypic variation and understanding how evolutionary and developmental factors interact to create these patterns. We use a diversity of approaches, including comparative phylogenetics, molecular systematics, and developmental studies of gene function and expression. Researchers in the lab have studied a wide variety of animals, including arthropods, tardigrades, salamanders and skinks.”

 Join us at 6:30pm on Zoom (talk starts at 6:40) to hear how she does it all!

Marvalee

Join Zoom Meeting

ID: 99016137848
Passcode: b6H9Vf8N