New Movie, Eclipse Next Week, and New Media Page!

Dan Zevin [Eclipse Megamovie Team]

Jun 28, 2019, 11:24:50 PM6/28/19
to Eclipse Megamovie News
Dear Eclipse Megamovie Friends,

It's been a long, long time we know, but there's been some progress on the Eclipse Megamovie Project. Namely, we have a new version of the Megamovie! The latest version was actually completed way back in September 2018, but we were hoping for some more funding to do a little science too, before we made any announcement. Alas, that didn't happen! Not yet anyway, but we push forward. In the meantime, go to our Home Page and check out this much improved Megamovie, which was compiled by UC Berkeley graduate student Juan Camilo Guevara Gomez with assistance by undergraduate Tushar Singla. It shows a false-color array of images to better highlight interesting features within the Sun's atmosphere. These images were also spatially aligned using the bright star Regulus, but have yet to be adjusted to the same brightness.

Have any of you become "eclipsophiles" - enough so to head down to Chile or Argentina next week to view the total solar eclipse on July 2nd? If so, then be sure to download Eclipse Camera 2019, the new eclipse image capturing app for mobile devices created by our friends at Ideum. They'd appreciate any feedback you might have on the new app, and our scientists at the Space Sciences Laboratory would certainly like to acquire your images for further study! (And yes, the app assists with that too ; )

We also have a new Media Tab on our website, with links to multiple videos that all resulted on account of the Eclipse Megamovie Project. It's definitely a fun way to revisit and experience all over again the August 2017 total solar eclipse.

All of these items can be found at www.eclipsemegamovie.org, so check them out. Just note, we currently have a little bug in our website code, so additional tabs have to be accessed from the home page, and not directly. This means you can't copy and share any tab urls other than the Megamovie home page. Sorry if that causes any difficulties in sharing these things with your own family and friends. But we're working on it : )

Finally, we're still hoping to get some more funding to continue our science investigation with the current dataset, plus a possible repeat effort in 2024. We'll definitely keep you posted on that!

Clear skies and best wishes,

Dan
On behalf of the Eclipse Megamovie Project team
This conversation is locked