Zooniverse, Kaggle, and Matthew!

Dan Zevin [Eclipse Megamovie Team]

Feb 7, 2018, 4:05:01 PM2/7/18
to Eclipse Megamovie News
Dear Megamovie Friends,

There are some updates and new efforts afoot that we wanted to let you know about as follows:

The Megamovie project on Zooniverse has been running for a couple of months now, but we are still not an official Zooniverse project (meaning listed on their official projects page with additional support from the Zooniverse team).  But we just passed beta review and are about to apply for final review very soon, so please stay tuned!  In the meantime, please feel free to keep working the project, or check it out if you haven't done so already. The good news is that our reviews have been overwhelmingly positive!

The Megamovie dataset is also now available on Kaggle. Kaggle is an open data science platform that has some pretty great collaborative functionality. This is a fairly new development, but we'll be looking into possible competitions and other ways to make this more engaging, so please stay tuned. In the meantime, feel free to check it out now!

Finally, I'd like to introduce you to our new project assistant Matthew Naranjo, who'll be taking over posting here for a few months while I turn my attention to a brand new project called Earth Academy (which you can learn more about here). Matthew powered much of our work to date on Zooniverse, and will continue on that effort as well as help explore what can be done with Kaggle. Please help me welcome Matthew and stay tuned for more updates from him as our data analysis continues!

Thank you,

Dan
On behalf of the entire Eclipse Megamovie team