Last Minute Invite to Megamovie Webinar TONIGHT! Plus new resources and other news.

Dan Zevin [Eclipse Megamovie Team]

May 24, 2017, 6:40:51 PM5/24/17
to Eclipse Megamovie News
Hello Megamovie Friends!

Do you own or are you considering purchasing a good digital camera (DSLR or mirrorless) but haven't joined the Eclipse Megamovie Photo Team yet?  If so, you are invited to an online interactive webinar tonight that will help explain in more detail what it will take to participate as a Photo Team member. The webinar starts at 6pm Pacific, 7pm Mountain, 8pm Central, and 9pm Eastern, but you have to pre-register in advance here. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing the additional information necessary to join the webinar. We hope you can join us, even if you're just curious!  Please note - if you are already a Photo Team Member, then you should have received this invitation already. In addition, please note that this webinar will cover the basics of participating as a Photo Team Member - it will not cover taking photos of the eclipse with smartphones, iPads or other such devices.

By the way, some of you may not be aware that we have a FAQ page for the Eclipse Megamovie Project. It's mainly for those interested in joining our project as a Photo Team Member, but will continue to grow for all interested parties. You can find it at https://eclipsemega.movie/faq

We also wanted to let you know about some additional eclipse resources as follows:

Megamovie friend and eclipse mapmaker extraordinaire Xavier Jubier (who we know also receives these emails!) has created an eclipse tool called Solar Eclipse Maestro. The free software program provides all sorts of eclipse researching and tracking assistance, and even includes automated solar eclipse photography programming so that you can be free to concentrate on observing the eclipse with your own eyes. You can read the full details about the free software here.

If you're not a camera buff, or for that matter, not even on the path of totality but still want to contribute to the science of eclipses, well then, check out EclipseMob, a crowdsourced effort to conduct the largest-ever low-frequency radio wave propagation experiment during the 2017 solar eclipse. Participants build their own radio receiver and participate by taking measurements during the eclipse. Find out more here.

Other eclipse related citizen science efforts include Life Responds and GLOBE Observer, both of which were recently highlighted along with the Megamovie in an online webinar for informal educators. You can watch a recording of this informational presentation here. But wait, there are even more eclipse citizen science projects to choose from! Many are listed by the American Astronomical Society on their website here.

Now if you don't think enough people are excited about this eclipse, maybe you can send out some postcards and letters to them. To help, the US Postal Service just announced they are gearing up to release a 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Forever Stamp. You can read the story on their website here.

For the educators out there, check out the free downloadable eclipse related articles from the National Science Teachers Association at the bottom of the Multiverse team's website here. For convenience, these articles have been grouped by elementary, middle, and high school levels.

Finally, for those of you fairly new to our Eclipse Megamovie e-newsletter, or for those who may have just been re-added because of previous issues, there are probably a few previous newsletter posts that you might want to catch up on. Thus, we encourage you to check out all our previous posts at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/eclipse. NOTE: One of the more important previous newsletter posts was about applying to be a member of the official Megamovie Photo Team. That requires a few extra steps. To learn more, please read the newsletter post here.

Thanks as always for your continued support of the Eclipse Megamovie Project. We'll try to keep the light OFF for ya on August 21st!

Dan

On behalf of the entire Eclipse Megamovie Team

This conversation is locked