WolfSSL as a Testbed for Post-Quantum TLS 1.3

Anthony Hu

Dec 23, 2021, 12:56:36 PM12/23/21
to pqc-forum
Hello PQC-Forum,

My name is Anthony Hu and I am a member of the wolfSSL organization. I would like to wish everyone here a happy holiday and give season's greetings!

For a very long time, wolfSSL has supported post-quantum efforts with an implementation of NTRU.

More recently, we have integrated some of the round 3 KEMs as groups and ECC hybrid groups in TLS 1.3. Our soon to be released wolfSSL 5.1.0 version has the NIST Round 3 FALCON signature scheme integrated into it.  We also have clear instructions on how to build the Apache web server and Curl web client to use the post-quantum algorithms here: https://github.com/wolfSSL/osp/blob/master/apache-httpd/README_post_quantum.md . This means that anyone can experiment with fully post-quantum TLS 1.3 connections using wolfSSL and we encourage everyone to do so. I am pleased to let you know that we are happy to provide support to anyone using wolfSSL as a post-quantum testbed! You can email your questions to fa...@wolfssl.com and/or sup...@wolfssl.com .

Season's greetings and warm regards, Anthony Hu

Anthony Hu

Dec 23, 2021, 3:22:53 PM12/23/21
to Q R, pqc-forum
Hello Wilson,

Actually, our post-quantum algorithms are not implemented in house. We integrated liboqs with wolfSSL. As such I would expect our performance to be comparable to  OpenQuantumSafe's integrations.  The one place where performance might differ is our ECC hybrid groups as we use our optimized ECC implementations, but as of yet we have not done any comparisons. Interestingly, our artifacts, OIDs and codepoints are the same as the OQS team's OpenSSL fork.  As such we have interoperability with them.

Warm regards, Anthony

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 1:46 PM Q R <amz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Anthony,

Thank you for these efforts, we use your products and I am happy to see this.

Question, does WolfSSL plan on comparing your implementation to those
in this Open Quantum Safe based TLS
(https://openquantumsafe.org/applications/tls.html)?

It would be interesting to see a comparison of TLS 1.3 today and two
data points with PQC variants for performance.

Regards and Happy Holidays.

~Wilson