New version of DME for signature and KEM

ilu...@ucm.es

Nov 28, 2022, 8:04:54 AM11/28/22
to pqc-forum
We have published the preprint "DME: a full encryption, signature and
KEM multivariate public key cryptosystem” on
https://eprint.iacr.org/2022/1538.

In the preprint, we describe a new version of the  multivariate public
key cryptosystem DME that was presented to the NIST PQC competition.
DME is based on the composition of linear and exponential maps
that allow the polynomials of the public key to be of a very high
degree. This new version of DME adds one or two extra rounds of
exponentials to the original two rounds and works over only two fields
(F_q, F_q^2, q=2^e) instead of three. We get a huge reduction of the
number monomials by imposing some carefully chosen linear conditions
on the exponents, forcing many monomials to be equal after the last
exponentials and their coefficienta to be combined into a single one.
This "mixing" of the coefficients gives us a strong defense against
structural cryptanalysis. For instance, in the 4 round scheme that we
implemented, called DME-(4,8,2^64), the number of monomials of the
components with reduction is (72,90,36,96) and without reduction
(2^9, 2^9, 2^8, 2^9). The other new feature of DME is that the
exponential matrices are now secret. The public key consist only of
the final polynomials and given the (public) exponents of those
polynomials there is a number of free parameter on the matrices that
produces this public key. For instance, for the implemented
DME-(4,8,2^64), for a single public key there are 2^84 sets of
matrices that produce the same exponents, and gives amore security
against structural attacks.

With this setting the composition gives  a deterministic trapdoor one
way permutation and allows use as random padding OAEP for KEM and PSS00
for signature. In the preprint, we provide SUPERCOP timings of
DME-OAEP and DME-PSS00 for versions with three and four exponentials
and compare them with NIST finalists. For NIST security level 5, the
size of ciphertext and signature is only 64 bytes.

The code of the reference implementation of DME-(3,8,2^64) and
DME-(4,8,2^64) can be downloaded from
https://github.com/miguelmarco/DME2, or from our website
https://gauss.mat.ucm.es/dme/

Here are the timings and sizes for signature given in the preprint.

tabla.png