When is Round 3 closing and Round 4 starting?

Doge Protocol

Feb 8, 2022, 4:11:38 AM2/8/22
to pqc-forum
Hi Nist team,

From the following session slides, 3rd round was planned to be closed end of 2021 and 4th round opened subsequently. Is the current plan to close out Round 3 soon?

Moody, Dustin (Fed)

Feb 9, 2022, 1:35:45 PM2/9/22
to Doge Protocol, pqc-forum
Thanks for asking this question.

Yes - the 3rd round will shortly be ending.  NIST is actively writing the 3rd Round report which will explain our rationale for which algorithms we will standardize.   We hope to be able to announce the results and report not later than the end of March.

The announcement will indicate which algorithms NIST is selecting for standardization, along with the algorithms that will advance to a 4th round of evaluation.  (The 4th round will proceed similarly to the first three rounds.)

It's been a long process, and NIST is grateful for everybody's efforts.  We appreciate your patience for just a little longer.

Dustin

Mar 4, 2022, 1:39:08 PM3/4/22
to pqc-forum, dustin...@nist.gov, dogepr...@gmail.com
We wanted to give another quick update.

We've received a few inquiries about whether NIST's talk at the PKC conference next week will be where we announce the candidates we will select for standardization.  The short answer is no - it will not be.

We are still hoping to make our announcement by the end of this month (March).

Dustin Moody
NIST

Jean-Christophe Deneuville

Mar 8, 2022, 6:13:25 AM3/8/22
to dbmo...@gmail.com, pqc-forum, dustin...@nist.gov, dogepr...@gmail.com

Dear Dustin,

Is there a recording of your talk "The Beginning of the End: The First NIST PQC Standards" at PKC22 available somewhere? If not, could you please share the slides?

Thanks. Best,

Jean-Christophe

Stefan Kölbl

Mar 8, 2022, 6:16:24 AM3/8/22
to Jean-Christophe Deneuville, pqc-forum, dustin...@nist.gov
Hi Jean-Christophe,

Best,
Stefan

dustin...@nist.gov

Mar 31, 2022, 11:25:56 AM3/31/22
to pqc-forum
Another update:

We had been hoping to announce the results of our PQC standardization process by the end of March.  We ask for a little bit more patience since we are not ready to make the announcement today.  We still expect to make it very soon.

Dustin Moody
NIST PQC team

Moody, Dustin (Fed)

Apr 19, 2022, 4:09:39 PM4/19/22
to pqc-forum, Moody, Dustin (Fed)

Everybody,

We appreciate your patience.  The announcement of the algorithms we will standardize is still coming very soon.  This is a major milestone of our project, and the delay is not due to technical considerations but is due to some legal and procedural steps that are taking more time than we anticipated.  Again, thank you for your patience.

The PQC team

May 13, 2022, 6:08:05 AM5/13/22
to pqc-forum, dustin...@nist.gov
Hello Dr. Dustin Moody,
Time goes fly so fast.
Do you have any update on this topic because my customer has been waiting for something official release. :-)

Have a great day.
Regards,
BH.

dbmo...@gmail.com

May 13, 2022, 10:43:04 AM5/13/22
to pqc-forum, bongh...@gmail.com, dustin...@nist.gov
BH,

Yes, time does fly fast!  We are still very close to being able to announce, and expect it will be very soon.  We don't have a specific day that we can say will be the day.  Progress is being made on the steps that need to happen.

Dustin