What stops another Red Hat?

Watson Ladd

Jul 7, 2022, 2:06:05 PM7/7/22
to pqc-...@list.nist.gov
Dear all,

Those of us who tried to get ECC into real working systems during the
years before 2018 or so will remember that Red Hat had a uniquely
unhelpful attitude towards what it considered patent threats, and it
wasn't clear what could have helped. That's despite existing licenses,
the RFC 6090 process, etc, and NIST licensing. While many players were
satisfied that the patent risk was manageable, Red Hat was not, and it
was not possible to convince them otherwise. As a result migrating to
ECC was much slower than otherwise.

The existence of a few licenses doesn't mean that other claims aren't
out there, and the nonexistence of other claims doesn't mean the risk
perception of important entities won't be overly cautious. Unlike with
ECC, we need to make a transition and unavailability of the new
algorithms will be a problem. Already NIST has indicated that it might
switch to NTRU to avoid patent issues, and I am wondering if there is
some way NTRU might be added as an alternative to reduce the impact.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd

--
Astra mortemque praestare gradatim