Round 1 (Additional Signatures) OFFICIAL COMMENT: MEDS

Ruben Niederhagen

Jul 19, 2023, 9:51:20 PM7/19/23
to pqc-co...@nist.gov, pqc-...@list.nist.gov, author-...@meds-pqc.org
Dear Markku, Ward, and all,

We confirm that a variant of the attack (details see below) described by
Markku-Juhani O. Saarinen and Ward Beullens in previous threads
commenting on ALTEQ also applies to MEDS, which for example reduces the
attack success probability on the Fiat-Shamir construction for the
Level-I parameter sets to 2^-89.1 and 2^-105.9.

We concur that checking if the signature matrices are invertible during
verification invalidates the attack.

We will update the specification document and the source code
accordingly and we will make both available on the MEDS website:
https://www.meds-pqc.org/

Thanks to the whole community for the thorough scrutiny and the
constructive feedback!

Best regards
MEDS team

Attack variant:

The attack as previously described by Markku and Ward does not straight
forwardly match to MEDS, since we are checking during verification if
the resulting matrix has systematic form, which is not the case if the
signature matrices mu_i and nu_i are zero.

However, Ward Beullens pointed out to us that the resulting matrix can
easily be forced to be the identity matrix in the left and all zeros in
the right after systemization by setting one of the signature matrices
to any invertible matrix and the other to a non-zero first row and
all-zero in the remaining rows. Then, the pi() operation results in an
invertible matrix in the left and all zero in the right - and the
following systemization results in the desired shape.

Ruben Niederhagen

Jul 26, 2023, 5:17:43 AM7/26/23
to pqc-co...@nist.gov, pqc-...@list.nist.gov, author-...@meds-pqc.org
Dear all,

As announced in our previous email, we have updated our spec and
implementation to fix our multi-key Fiat-Shamir construction.

We also took the opportunity to improve the multi-target collision
resistance of MEDS.

The updated submission document and the source code can be found on our
website:

https://www.meds-pqc.org/

and via the following links:

- Submission document: