Here's how we have recovered the private key from the RSA-encrypted public key by using a quantum computation

Howard Y. Jung

Feb 20, 2023, 7:43:23 AM2/20/23
to pqc-...@list.nist.gov
Hi,

I'm pleased to share the info with you how we have recovered the private key from the RSA-encrypted public key by using a quantum simulator.
You can find the detailed procedures from the URL below.
A total of 58 Qubit was utilized and the computing time consumed was ca. 1hr 54m.
Should you have any queries in this regard, please feel free to email me at how...@norma.co.kr, or to...@norma.co.kr

If any of you are visiting the MWC 2023 exhibition in Barcelona next week, I will be glad to meet and talk.
You can find our stand from the URL below.

With best regards,

Howard Y. Jung
Sales Director
Global Business Division

Guilin Wang

Feb 20, 2023, 11:56:02 AM2/20/23
to Howard Y. Jung, pqc-...@list.nist.gov
Dear Howard,

Thanks for sharing the info, which looks interesting.

Could you please mention what the key length is for the RSA system for which you have recovered the private key?

Thanks,

Guilin

Sent from my phone

Derek Atkins

Feb 20, 2023, 11:59:56 AM2/20/23
to wang.gu...@gmail.com, pqc-...@list.nist.gov, how...@norma.co.kr
HI,

On Tue, 2023-02-21 at 00:55 +0800, Guilin Wang wrote:
Dear Howard,

Thanks for sharing the info, which looks interesting.

Could you please mention what the key length is for the RSA system for which you have recovered the private key?

If you look at their link, they say "RSA-14", which means a 14-bit RSA key.  A far cry from 512, let alone 2048 bit RSA keys.

-derek
--
Derek Atkins
Chief Technology Officer

Office: 203.227.3151  x1343
Direct: 617.623.3745
Mobile: 617.290.5355
Email: DAt...@Veridify.com

This email message may contain confidential, proprietary and / or legally privileged information and intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) and others specifically authorized. Any disclosure, dissemination, copying, distribution or use of the information contained in this email message, including any attachments, to or by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email or at the telephone number above, and then delete, shred, or otherwise dispose of this message.

Guilin Wang

Feb 20, 2023, 12:12:52 PM2/20/23
to Derek Atkins, pqc-...@list.nist.gov, how...@norma.co.kr
Thanks. Just checked the link, which seems not telling how the skill can be scaled up to recover the private key of a real RSA system, like the RSA-896 which calls an award of 75k $.

However, this is the real crucial part, as the private key of RSA-14 itself can be even calculated manually.

김광조

Feb 20, 2023, 10:11:52 PM2/20/23
to Derek Atkins, pqc-...@list.nist.gov, how...@norma.co.kr, Guilin Wang
Dear Howard

Your RSA-14 (or factored 14-bit number)  makes big confusion and illusion to the world.
In our cryptographic society, we say that RSA100 means RSA with 100 digit in general.

You must mention RSA-14 clearly not using in binary number, but  in digit.

Congratulations on your big contribution to quantum cryptography.

Regards,

President  Kwangjo Kim
Emeritus Prof.@KAIST,  IACR Fellow

International Research ins. for  Cyber Security(IRCS)
#1202 Sungji Heights-tel, 2 Seohyeon-ro 210 Beon-gil,  Bundang-gu, Seongnam-si,
Gyeonggi-do, 13591, Rep. of Korea
Tel: +82-703-1386 Mobile: +82-10-9414-1386 E-mail : k...@kaist.ac.kr

Howard Y. Jung

Feb 21, 2023, 5:06:30 AM2/21/23
to 김광조, Derek Atkins, pqc-...@list.nist.gov, Guilin Wang
Dear Prof. Kim,

Many thanks for your comments.
Let me share our latest updates as follows;

1. The 14-bit number we performed is five decimal digits. In particular, it was not performed for a "specific number" in factoring five digits.
    It is possible for any semi-prime number of five digits for the factorization.

2. A quantum computation was utilized. (In fact, since the performance of quantum computers is not remarkably good, a quantum simulator implemented in a classical computer was used.)
Currently, classical computers perform better than quantum computers in factoring. The first reason is that factoring of appropriately sized numbers is necessary to bring realistic results,
and the second reason is that quantum computers have not yet been developed enough to produce meaningful results.
However, for numbers larger than 512-bit (binary), quantum computers will show better performance. (Ref: KK Berggren (2004). Quantum computing with superconductors. Proceedings of the IEEE)
Particularly, if quantum computers evolve to the extent where the (required) time factor stands out, this will become a real threat to RSA encryption, which has not been achieved by classical computers.

With best regards,

Howard Y. Jung
Sales Director
Global Business Division

2023년 2월 21일 (화) 오후 12:11, 김광조 <k...@kaist.ac.kr>님이 작성:

Divesh Aggarwal

Feb 21, 2023, 5:19:23 AM2/21/23
to Howard Y. Jung, 김광조, Derek Atkins, pqc-...@list.nist.gov, Guilin Wang
Is this an implementation of Shor's algorithm?

What is the previous record for a successful implementation of Shor's algorithm before this work? Wasn't it 21?

Best regards
Divesh

Howard Y. Jung

Feb 21, 2023, 5:25:20 AM2/21/23
to Divesh Aggarwal, 김광조, Derek Atkins, pqc-...@list.nist.gov, Guilin Wang, Tony Lee
Dear Divesh,

Yes, it's implemented by Shor's algorithms.
You can refer to the details at http://rsa-cracking-by-quantum-computer.norma.kr
As far as I know, we are the first to successfully implement Shor's algorithms for RSA-14 bit (5 digits) cracking by using a quantum simulator.

With best regards,

Howard Y. Jung
Sales Director
Global Business Division

2023년 2월 21일 (화) 오후 7:19, Divesh Aggarwal <divesh....@gmail.com>님이 작성:

김광조

Feb 21, 2023, 5:29:11 AM2/21/23
to Howard Y. Jung, Divesh Aggarwal, Derek Atkins, pqc-...@list.nist.gov, Guilin Wang
Dear Howard

I think that their achievement is not so quite surprising only done  over the quantum simulator under no quantum noise.
We need to wait for more fully quantum attack on the integer factorization which is expected to be done in the future.

This means that you are now overclaiming and misleading our well-known understanding.
Hope that your business makes realistic success.

Markku-Juhani O. Saarinen

Feb 21, 2023, 5:37:17 AM2/21/23
to pqc-forum, 김광조, Derek Atkins, pqc-...@list.nist.gov, Guilin Wang, Howard Y. Jung, Divesh Aggarwal
Hi,

Ok, adding to this garbage fire *sigh*

You can see from screenshots that they were basically just going through the Qiskit / IBM classroom tutorial, with the same IBM simulator: https://qiskit.org/textbook/ch-algorithms/shor.html

Anyway, I just wanted to say that it's an excellent tutorial for those who want to learn the basics of quantum algorithms. However, pls don't post your homework here.

Cheers,
- markku

Dr. Markku-Juhani O. Saarinen <mj...@iki.fi>

Vlad Gheorghiu

Feb 21, 2023, 3:42:16 PM2/21/23
to pqc-...@list.nist.gov
no comment
--
Dr. Vlad Gheorghiu
Institute for Quantum Computing

Quantum Researcher

Feb 22, 2023, 6:51:41 PM2/22/23
to pqc-forum
A researcher from your company has developed a simple code to demonstrate the implementation of Shor's algorithm and is sharing results obtained from quantum simulators due to the current difficulty of obtaining generalized results from quantum computers. However, this type of promotion is highly inappropriate, particularly in academic discussions, as it can be perceived as using one's own company or product for self-promotion. This is unfortunate.
Moreover, while factorizing large numbers is crucial for Shor's algorithm, minimizing the number of qubits used for the same number is also essential. The current results are merely intended to show that basic Shor's algorithm implementation can achieve this level of performance and are not particularly significant. It is assumed that the researcher is aware of this.
You seem to be a global business executive. Did your researchers really claim that these results are impressive? They will likely answer that they were simply demonstrating an example. It seems to have a counterproductive effect when people who know nothing about PQC or quantum try to promote the company. If your researchers have great accomplishments in the quantum field, please make sure to apologize. Personally, I am not interested in meeting with such a company, nor do I want to discuss or purchase their products.