Round 1 (Additional Signatures) OFFICIAL COMMENT: Xifrat1-Sign.I

Lorenz Panny

Jul 17, 2023, 2:04:04 PM7/17/23
to pqc-co...@nist.gov, pqc-...@list.nist.gov
Dear all,

here's a Sage script that quickly computes secret keys from public
keys in the Xifrat1-Sign.I submission:

https://yx7.cc/files/xifrat-attack.sage

On a 24-core machine, one run of the script takes about 4 minutes.
It currently hardcodes the public key from the first KAT.

The attack is based on the machinery from ePrint 2021/583: We can
rewrite the quasigroup multiplication x*y as C + Ax + By, where +
is an abelian group and A,B are commuting automorphisms. Since all
mixing functions used in the construction are affine-linear maps
with respect to this +, the system connecting the secret with the
public key is linear in the secrets, and we can reduce to linear
algebra. In this particular case, the group is actually isomorphic
to 𝔽₂⁴, rendering the implementation of the attack particularly
easy, but the general case works similarly.

Best,
Lorenz