ASCON KMAC on a Arduino Elegoo Mega 2560

Robert Moskowitz

Jun 4, 2024, 10:08:40 AMJun 4
to lwc-forum
Things seem to have been quite for the past year...

Can some one point me to ASCON code a student can use for developing on the Elegoo Mega 2560?

The Mega 2560 will support a few sensors and the data has to go authenticated to the upstream analyzer.

Thus all we "need" is a KMAC type function as we discussed a year ago in the workshop.

Static keying will have be used at this stage of the student's work (the actual sensor part IS more important to complete this summer!).  Plus what protocol to use as the student has not found any standard security protocol like D/TLS.  I may have to direct them in just using something like the DTLS envelope.

thank you!

--
Robert Moskowitz
Owner

There's no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who gets the credit

Rhys Weatherley

Jun 4, 2024, 2:55:43 PMJun 4
to Robert Moskowitz, lwc-forum
Hi Robert,

I believe you may be referring to my talk on KMAC and other uses for ASCON last year.  The implementations of the ASCON primitives and the things I built on top are part of "ASCON Suite":

The paper I presented: https://eprint.iacr.org/2023/391

ASCON Suite can be unpacked into the user's "sketchbook/libraries" directory and used directly as a library in the Arduino IDE.  I have tested it on a Mega 2560 myself, although not the Elegoo variant.  It should work, or the student can e-mail me for help on getting it to work.

Cheers,

Rhys.