[Jama] Export Control Information request for JAMA

GOSS Steve

Mar 22, 2017, 7:41:34 AM3/22/17
to ja...@list.nist.gov
Dear Sir / Madam,

I am trying to identify any export controls, UK, US or any other, that are applicable for the "JAMA" software library and was wondering if you could assist me in answering the following questions:

1. What is the country of manufacture?
2. What is the export classification in the country of manufacture?
3. Please detail any US content and provide the US export classification (ECCN).

Even if you are unsure of any of the above, any response to that effect would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Goss
WISP2 Support / AirScape Project Design Authority
Thales
Land and Air Systems
Horizon House, Throop Road, Templecombe, Somerset, BA8 0DH, England
www.thalesgroup.com/uk<../../../../../t0038633/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Signatures/www.thalesgroup.com/uk>

Tel: +44 (0)1963 372291.
e-mail: steve.goss at uk.thalesgroup.com<mailto:steve.goss at uk.thalesgroup.com>
Please consider the environment before printing a hard copy of this email.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It is intended only for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by any other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this e-mail. Such unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform us immediately on +44 (0)1963 370551 and delete it and all copies from your system.

Thales UK Limited. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered Office: 2 Dashwood Lang Road, The Bourne Business Park, Addlestone, Weybridge, Surrey KT15 2NX. Registered Number: 868273

Ronald Boisvert

Mar 22, 2017, 11:18:46 AM3/22/17
to ja...@list.nist.gov
While I am no expert in export laws, here is an attempt to answer your questions:

1. What is the country of manufacture?

USA

2. What is the export classification in the country of manufacture?

3. Please detail any US content and provide the US export classification (ECCN).

We have never applied for an ECCN. JAMA is not a commercial product. As declared on the website, the JAMA software is in the public domain, and hence its use has no restrictions on its use. It is the result of open scientific research conducted in a US Federal laboratory. The software performs elementary linear algebra operations similar to those found in very many software collections both developed in research labs and marketed commercially. There should be no export issues associated with it.

If you have additional questions, please send them to me directly.

Ron

Dr. Ronald F. Boisvert
Acting Associate Director, NIST Information Technology Laboratory
Chief, NIST Applied and Computational Mathematics Division (771)
National Institute of Standards and Tech. | Voice +1-301-975-3812
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8910 | Fax +1-301-975-2837
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8910 USA | Email boisvert at nist.gov
URL https://www.nist.gov/people/ronald-f-boisvert