Multi story building: envelope flow path coordinates for PLD file creation

Yasir Mohieldeen

May 9, 2024, 8:09:26 AMMay 9
to CONTAM
Hi;
I am creating WPP profiles library for a 2 floors building.  For the flow paths in the 2nd floor shall I enter their coordinates relative to the 2nd level or ground level, especially the Z coordinate?
Thak you

William Dols

May 9, 2024, 9:42:42 AMMay 9
to CONTAM, yasir...@gmail.com
It is unclear to me what process you are using to create WPP library files.

If you are referring to the Relative Elevation entered into ContamW for each flow path, this is always relative to the floor on which the path is located.
relative-elevation.png
You can then have ContamW generate the PLD file (via the Weather -> Create WPC File .. dialog box), and it will adjust these values based on the level elevation to determine the value for the Z coordinate relative to the base of the building.

If you are creating WPP files manually, then this coordinate is irrelevant, because the WPP is directly associated with flow paths via the Wind Pressure tab of the Airflow Path Properties dialog box.
- Stuart

Yasir Mohieldeen

May 10, 2024, 2:42:05 AMMay 10
to CONTAM, William Dols, yasir...@gmail.com
Hi;
I am using CONTAMw/Weather/Create WPC file, as in the Contam-3-Tutorial Exterior CFD coupling. I have 3 issues:
1- The Wall Azimuth Angel of the REFBLOCK is 198 degrees, is this the Coordinate Transformation Rotation Angle? (see attachment)
2- If the relative elevation of a path on the 1st floor is 1.5m, and the height of the ground level is 4m, does the height will be adjusted to 5.5m automatically when calculating PLD or do I need to adjust it manually?
3- My REFBLOCK covers a small part of the building, does it need to cover the whole building?

Thank you
PLD2.png

Dols, William Stuart (Fed)

May 10, 2024, 11:15:06 AMMay 10
to CONTAM

1. Referring to the documentation accessible by pressing F1 on the keyboard in ContamW (help below revealed when pressing F1 while viewing the Create WPC File dialog box).

CFD0/WPCTranlator does not utilize the EWC file, but creates the WPP library from the CFD0 outputs as presented in the tutorial.

2. As I said in the previous message, the relative height will be adjusted accordingly. This is easily verified by generating the PLD and reviewing it in a text editor.

3. Referring to the documentation of the tutorial:

REFBLOCK means that one corner of that building will be used as the reference location for exporting data.

You must specify one and only one building with the name "REFBLOCK".

- Stuart

Dols, William Stuart (Fed)

May 10, 2024, 1:28:33 PMMay 10
to Liangzhu (Leon) Wang, CONTAM

Thanks, Leon!

I should mention that a WPCTranslator executable (developed by Dr. Leon Wang) that works with CFD0Editor outputs as described in the tutorial is available on the Software page of the NIST Multizone Modeling website.

- Stuart

May 10, 2024, 2:19:05 PMMay 10
to CONTAM, Dols, William Stuart (Fed)
Dear Stuart;
Thank you very much for clarifying this to me.
Regards

Yasir Mohieldeen

May 10, 2024, 3:35:30 PMMay 10
to CONTAM, Dols, William Stuart (Fed)
Dear Stuart;
The LB2 library files that I generated crashes CONTAM every time I try to add it as a library file in Data/Wind Pressure Profiles.  I think there is a mistake as the corner of the case-study Villa is in the middle of the REFBLOCK (the building has 2 villas and I am using one villa as a case study)- Please see attachment.  The rotation angle is 18 deg I presume.  I appreciate your help.

Regards

On Friday, May 10, 2024 at 6:15:06 PM UTC+3 Dols, William Stuart (Fed) wrote:
42b.png

Yasir Mohieldeen

May 11, 2024, 12:32:11 AMMay 11
to CONTAM, Yasir Mohieldeen, Dols, William Stuart (Fed)
Dear All;
I have run the WPCTranslator.exe and it generated a profile for only one flow path that is on REFBLOCK,  and assigned 0 coefficient value for the rest. The message I got is "Path 2 is not on a building surface, exit" for the rest of the paths. It seems that REFBLOCK needs to cover all flow paths in order to generate profiles.  If this is the case, then I find it not easy to generate such REFBLOCK for my case study villa.

Regards

Yasir Mohieldeen

May 11, 2024, 9:00:19 AMMay 11
to CONTAM, Yasir Mohieldeen, Dols, William Stuart (Fed)
Dear All;
I decided to run the CFD0 exterior model multiple times, every time with different REFBLOCK that covers some flow paths. Later I can combine the LB2 libraries in one with all profiles of flow paths in the Villa. It takes long time for one run though.
Do you think this is a rationale solution or there is another way around this problem (having irregular rectangle building)

Regards

Dols, William Stuart (Fed)

May 13, 2024, 5:12:07 PMMay 13
to Yasir Mohieldeen, CONTAM

You should also ensure that your blockages and grid align.

I think it’s best to define the grid regions to align with the blockages and then subdivide them.

The red lines shown on the image below indicate the distinct regions of the grid.