Flowpath for connection 2 floor areas

Giannis Papadopoulos

May 21, 2024, 4:12:29 AMMay 21
to CONTAM
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask your opinion about which flowpath to use to connect the to different floors. I attach the photo of the building. The building have offices in the ground floor and as well at the 1st floor, but the ambient area is the same for the both floors. as you can see at the photo. So what you will do to simulate this building characteristic.

Thank you,

Giannis
20240401_101657.jpg

William Dols

May 21, 2024, 12:24:47 PMMay 21
to CONTAM, gianni...@gmail.com
Depending on the goals of your project, you can model the atrium (I assume you meant atrium as opposed to ambient) as a phantom zone on the second floor surrounding the "suspended" offices.
If you want different atrium zones on the two levels, then you can model connections with large orifices or shaft elements with very low resistance between the levels.
You could also model the atrium as a CFD zone, but this would add significant simulation time and require a higher degree of difficulty to define the inputs.
- Stuart

Giannis Papadopoulos

May 23, 2024, 4:37:14 AMMay 23
to CONTAM, William Dols, gianni...@gmail.com
Thank you very much for the answer. I have one more question. If we model this with phantom zone on the second floor how we add the volume of the atrium above the first floor? (we add the additional volume on the second floor or on the first. The indoor conditions are the same at both zones).

Giannis

Dols, William Stuart (Fed)

May 23, 2024, 7:41:50 AMMay 23
to Giannis Papadopoulos, CONTAM