CDF Research Group Next Phase Kickoff

Katy Owens Hubler

Nov 8, 2021, 2:09:23 PM11/8/21
to cdf-ball...@list.nist.gov, cdf-us...@list.nist.gov, Jared Marcotte, John Dziurlaj, John Wack, lisa.c...@nist.gov, Howell, Gema E. (Fed)

Hello CDF Research Group,

Thank you for being involved in the CDF Research Group. Due to your efforts and input over the last year we produced two white papers, “Recommendations for voting system interoperability” and “Gap Analysis for Key Interoperability Scenarios in Election Technology.”

We are ready to move on to the next phase of this project and would like to invite you to a kickoff call for this stage of the work. The kickoff call will be on Wednesday, November 17 at 12pm Eastern Time (the meeting link and call-in information is below).

The future work will focus on interoperability between ballot producing devices (e.g. EMSs, BMDs) and scanners, so ballots produced by different vendors and products can be read and interpreted.

If you are already on the ballot styles mailing list you will receive a calendar invite for meetings, as well as updates and reminders on the list. If you would like to confirm you are part of this list, or make any changes, please do so by signing in to Google Groups or emailing me directly.

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer or mobile app

Click here to join the meeting

Or call in (audio only)

+1 301-453-2257,,529357650#   United States, Silver Spring

Phone Conference ID: 529 357 650#

Find a local number | Reset PIN

Learn More | Meeting options

Katy Owens Hubler

Project Manager, The Turnout

ka...@turnout.rocks

435-647-6051

Ray Lutz

Nov 10, 2021, 2:34:27 PM11/10/21
to cdf-us...@list.nist.gov
Hello CDF research group:

I have a couple of things to contribute to this effort at this time:

1. Please include auditing within the scope of consideration. We should "Design For Audit" rather than assuming that consideration of auditing is out of scope, as has been the case in other recent work. Please include this within scope of the work.

2. I have previously written on a related subject with this paper: "Guidelines and Terminology on the Ease of Voter-verification", and I believe the concepts put forward in this paper will be helpful in the thinking by the group.

You can access and comment on the paper at this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qz9Iin4AwzwNxVPHPoZZmV9W0EfQp5JcdSN6JqEAErM/edit%3fusp%3dsharing

Thank you...

Ray Lutz

-------
Ray Lutz
Citizens' Oversight Projects (COPs)
http://www.citizensoversight.org
619-820-5321

John McCarthy

Nov 12, 2021, 7:23:46 PM11/12/21
to Katy Owens Hubler, John Dziurlaj, cdf-ball...@list.nist.gov, cdf-us...@list.nist.gov, Jared Marcotte, John Wack, lisa.c...@nist.gov, Howell, Gema E. (Fed)

Thanks for the inviting me to the next stage of the CDF Research Group.
I'll be happy to participate.

Like Ray Lutz, I want to urge us to consider various kinds of election audits as an important factor to consider as part of interoperability between ballot producing devices (e.g. EMSs, BMDs) and scanners.

I'm also attaching a copy of a spreadsheet that a couple of my Verified Voting colleagues recently created showing different kinds of equipment used in the recent New Jersey elections. Perhaps we might want to contact some of the local election officials who might have useful experience to offer in terms of how they get equipment from different vendors to interoperate -- e.g., especially for Hudson, Morris, and Somerset Counties.

I hope to see or at least talk with you next Wednesday -- my wife and I will be on vacation, but I think I'll be able to call in and maybe even connect to MS Teams via an iPhone hotspot.

~John

John McCarthy Volunteer Advisor (he/him)
jo...@verifiedvoting.org 510.666.5309
verifiedvoting.org
verified voting logo

.