Clarification on the mailing lists and group objectives

Jared Marcotte

May 26, 2021, 1:19:10 PM5/26/21
to cdf-ball...@list.nist.gov, cdf-us...@list.nist.gov

Hi all –

I hope this finds everyone well! Good to see everyone who joined today’s CDF Use Case meeting! I realized after reading through some of the email conversations that there’s been some confusion about the use of these mailing lists and their purpose. I’ll do my best to clarify.

Administratively, if you do have a discussion topic for the group, please make sure you’re using the specific mailing list email addresses. A lot of recent conversation stemmed from someone emailing the meeting invitees directly and not the specific mailing list, which prevents new members from accessing those threads unless they’re explicitly added to them. If you have a topic for Ballot Styles, please use cdf-ball...@list.nist.gov. If your topic is for CDF Use Cases, please use cdf-us...@list.nist.gov. You can also log into the Google Groups and post directly to the use cases and ballot styles lists at https://list.nist.gov/cdf-use-cases and https://list.nist.gov/cdf-ballot-styles, respectively.

At our kickoff meeting, we discussed the differences between this work and the specific CDF work. I should explicitly clarify that the solicitation of feedback on the published CDFs is unrelated to the work in these two research groups. The goal of these meetings—and related email discussions—are to discuss use cases for components that may have gaps in coverage with the existing CDFs and to examine ballot style interoperability. Discussion around changes to the existing CDFs is generally out of scope for the email lists and meetings and should happen exclusively on their respective GitHub repositories. I absolutely encourage everyone interested to participate in those GitHub discussions.

Finally, we’re still operating under the Standing Rules and Etiquette from the previous groups. Please continue to be respectful of one another in both the meetings and other communication channels so we can foster an open dialog with everyone in the group. As an introduction to folks who may join us in the future, I’ll periodically repost this message about the rules and etiquette. If you have any questions about anything here, please reach out. Thank you all for your participation and work!

Cheers.

- jkm