OFFICIAL COMMENT: Gui

Ward Beullens

Apr 27, 2018, 10:11:33 AM4/27/18
to pqc-co...@nist.gov, pqc-...@list.nist.gov
Dear all,

I believe there is a problem with the parameters of the Gui signature
scheme for security level 1, and that a parameter change is needed.

The scheme uses a HFEv- trapdoor function which, with the proposed
parameters for security level 1, outputs 168 bits. Given the limited
number of output bits, this trapdoor cannot be straightforwardly used in
a hash-and-sign scheme, because a collision attack would be able to
forge signatures with roughly 2^{168/2} = 2^84 evaluations of the
trapdoor function. Instead, Gui uses the Feistel-Patarin construction
[1], which requires k inversions of the trapdoor function to sign a
message and k evaluations of the trapdoor function to verify a signature.

The paper [1] describes a generic attack on the Feistel-Patarin
construction with requires roughly 2^{m*k/k+1} evaluations of the
trapdoor function (where m is the number of bits outputted by the
trapdoor function), and requires roughly m*2^{m*k/k+1} bits of memory.
For Gui this means 2^112 evaluations of the public map, and 112*2^112
bits of memory.

However, the distinguished point method of [2] can be used to have
essentially the time complexity with roughly 3*112*2^56 bits of memory
(that is less than the amount of data that Google stores). I estimate
that this attack requires 2^135 (classical) gates, which is
significantly less than the estimate of 2^143 gates for a key-search on
AES in the NIST call for proposals.

I think the best way to fix the problem is to increase the parameter k
from 2 to 3 (the GeMSS submission has similar parameters and uses k=4).
This would lead to a very modest increase of 32 bits in signature size,
and a slowdown of the signing and verification algorithm of 50%.

I want to stress that this is a purely generic attack which only affects
the security level 1 parameters, this does not indicate a weakness in
the HFEv- construction.

Kind regards,
Ward

Ward Beullens

Apr 30, 2018, 6:41:28 AM4/30/18
to pqc-...@list.nist.gov
Dear all,

In my previous email I forgot to include the references, here they are:

[1] Nicolas Courtois. Generic attacks and the security of quartz. In Public Key Cryptography, volume 2567 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 351–364. Springer, 2003.
[2] Van Oorschot, Paul C., and Michael J. Wiener. "Parallel collision search with cryptanalytic applications." Journal of cryptology 12.1 (1999): 1-28.

My apologies,
Ward