Color of Highlighting and Persistent Highlighting Code/Configs

Robert

May 2, 2019, 10:38:49 AM5/2/19
to dev
Hi,
Looking at the code of the client and particularly at the Chrome extension,
could you please guide me how the background color of highlighting/annotation is decided
and from which place I get at most cases current yellow color?

When selecting an new highlighting, it makes older to disappear (not logged to h).
Is there a config option to make it persistent and keep several highlightings?

Thanks in advance.

BRGDS,
Robert

kat...@hypothes.is

May 2, 2019, 1:41:10 PM5/2/19
to dev
Hi Robert,

Highlights are yellow by default, but sometimes a web page will have CSS that overrides this.

Highlights should not disappear when you make a new one— are you logged in to Hypothesis while creating these highlights? Could you provide a link to a page where your highlights are disappearing so we can take a look?

Thanks,
Katelyn

Katelyn Lemay

May 2, 2019, 2:09:02 PM5/2/19
to coroberti ., dev
Robert,

I'm afraid I don't know where in the code highlight color is specified, but perhaps someone else can chime in with that!

Regarding the other highlight issue, is it possible you're running into this bug? See: https://github.com/hypothesis/browser-extension/issues/53

-Katelyn

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 1:50 PM coroberti . <coro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Katelyn,
Thank you for your reply.

1. Could you point to the place in the code where it is defined or decided
the yellow color? Somehow, I am failing to find this css or js file defining or deciding
that. I will need to patch the code in order to provide more colors and more color options for disabled people
(accessibility issue with yellow).
Thanks.

2. The question was about not being logged and still keeping previous highlighting.
What I see in code of annotator.bundle.js that on new highlighting is couple places
document.getSelection().removeAllRanges()
is called.

Thank you in advance for any guiding.

Kind regards,
Robert Iakobashvili

Katelyn Lemay
Support Engineer @ Hypothesis

Katelyn Lemay

May 2, 2019, 2:31:28 PM5/2/19
to coroberti ., dev
Thanks for tracking that down!

Regarding highlight colors, this is something we hope to implement in the future as well. You can see some design-related discussion on our Github issue: https://github.com/hypothesis/product-backlog/issues/198 - perhaps that will be of help!

Best,
Katelyn

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 2:29 PM coroberti . <coro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Katelyn,
Regarding the first question, it seems that it is coming from
styles/annotator.css
.annotator-highlights-always-on .annotator-hl {
background-color: rgba(255, 255, 60, 0.3);
cursor: pointer
}

Any guiding on making design with several colors would be very much appreciated.

Regarding the second question, if you are confirming that as a bug and not a normal behavior,
I'll try to dig in and understand it.

Kind regards,
Robert Iakobashvili

Katelyn Lemay

May 2, 2019, 2:50:51 PM5/2/19
to coroberti ., dev
We haven't yet gotten to the point of defining feature requirements or started on the design yet. When we do, that work will be reflected on the Github issue.

I am guessing you will be able to make faster work of this than we will— if you feel so inclined to share the results on the Github issue, we'd love to see what you come up with!

-Katelyn

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 2:47 PM coroberti . <coro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you once more.

Do you know if any feature requirements or a design document are already existing?
Thanks.

Kind regards,
Robert Iakobashvili