rss feeds for private groups

Malcolm Cook

Oct 3, 2019, 11:20:15 PM10/3/19
to dev
Hi,

Can H. provide a way for "private" groups to still have an RSS feed?

Since "private" groups as currently implemented are really only private until you have the invitation URL, in my view it is consistent with this level of privacy to all RSS access to anyone how has the URL with the obscure group identifier in it.

Reasonable?

Consistent with Hypothes.is vision?

Can do?

Thanks,

Malcolm Cook

Chris Aldrich

Jun 10, 2020, 5:00:50 PM6/10/20
to dev
You can find most of the details for RSS feeds here:

I don't think it's documented there, but I've found the feed URL pattern for groups is generally https://hypothes.is/stream.atom?group=1234ABCD where 1234ABCD is the group id number which you can find in your browser URL bar when looking at the groups' annotations at hypothes.is. I suspect this won't work for private groups and you may need to do some coding to extract the data via the tool here: https://github.com/judell/h_notify.

Others may have additional ideas....

Michael DiRoberts

Jun 10, 2020, 5:24:26 PM6/10/20
to dev, christoph...@gmail.com
My understanding is that to let you view private groups we would need to authenticate you, and we can't authenticate an RSS feed. I understand that private groups are only private until you're invited in or discover the public ID, but I think Chris' suggestion of h_notify is the right way to go. I'll flag this for the team so someone who may have more institutional memory.

Michael DiRoberts

Jun 11, 2020, 3:28:21 PM6/11/20
to dev, Michael DiRoberts, christoph...@gmail.com
Hi all,

I spoke with the team, and we plan on maintaining the authentication necessary to access private groups through the API, which is what we use for the public RSS feed. I hope this helps answer the question!

Best,
Michael