Monospace font in annotation editing box?

Leira Hua

Dec 15, 2021, 2:16:05 PM12/15/21
to dev
I capture code in hypothes.is annotations a lot. hypothes.is annotation editing box is essentially a markdown editor. It will be nice to have an option to use monospace fonts instead of variable width fonts. What do you guys think?

Michael DiRoberts

Dec 15, 2021, 2:59:01 PM12/15/21
to Leira Hua, dev
Hi Leira,

I think if you start and end the text with two back quotes ( `` ) you should get a monospaced font. If this doesn't work for you or it has some unintended issues please let me know!

Best,
Michael

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 2:16 PM Leira Hua <leir...@gmail.com> wrote:
I capture code in hypothes.is annotations a lot. hypothes.is annotation editing box is essentially a markdown editor. It will be nice to have an option to use monospace fonts instead of variable width fonts. What do you guys think?

Leira Hua

Dec 15, 2021, 3:21:28 PM12/15/21
to Michael DiRoberts, dev
Hi, Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I think you are talking about code blocks (```) or inline code (`) in Markdown, that the text in the back quotes will be rendered in monospaced font in the final annotation. I probably didn't express myself clearly. I wasn't talking about the rendered result, I was talking about the edit box itself. I was hoping the font in the edit box can be monospaced, just like a code editor. It will be great if we can have an option for that.

Best,
Leira

Michael DiRoberts

Dec 15, 2021, 4:44:04 PM12/15/21
to Leira Hua, dev
Hi Leira,

While I did mean to use (``) (see this annotation, where I used double back quotes around the text "monospaced test") you're right that I did not understand that you meant for the text to appear formatted in the editor.

I'll record a feature request to have a WYSIWYG editor, though I don't know if there was a reason not to have that originally (we do have a preview button so you can see the effects of your formatting before posting your annotation, though I'm betting that isn't useful to you either).

Best,
Michael

Leira Hua

Dec 15, 2021, 5:44:47 PM12/15/21
to Michael DiRoberts, dev
Hi, Michael,

While I did mean how text appears in the editor, I didn't mean to "preview" a (```) block as monospaced, but simply about what font is used in the editor as a whole. I'm not fond of WYSIWYG editors. I'm satisfied with the pure text based editor right now. I just don't like the fact that the text in the editor is shown using a variant width font, rather than a monospaced font, as typically used in a code editor like vim/emacs. Markdown is source code anyway. It is easier to format source code using a monospaced font.

Well, it is probably a niche requirement from a programmer. So rather than making it the default, it is better to have an option to use monospaced font in the editor.

Best,
Leira

Michael DiRoberts

Dec 15, 2021, 5:47:19 PM12/15/21
to Leira Hua, dev
Thanks for the clarification. I'll change the feature request.

Leira Hua

Dec 15, 2021, 5:54:43 PM12/15/21
to Michael DiRoberts, dev
Thanks for your patience. It is an enjoyable and effective conversation.

Eduardo Sanz García

Dec 16, 2021, 4:54:10 AM12/16/21
to Leira Hua, Michael DiRoberts, dev

Leira Hua

Dec 16, 2021, 1:27:33 PM12/16/21
to Eduardo Sanz García, Michael DiRoberts, dev
Exactly what I meant! Thanks! Eduardo~