How do I setup the Developer Environment, if I don't have KVM?

Nick Jackson

Jul 8, 2022, 2:29:07 PM7/8/22
to dev
I'm looking into implementing a locally hosted hypothes.is instance. However, my setup does not use KVM, which is a Docker dependency.

Is there a way to setup the environment without virtualization?

Robert Knight

Jul 9, 2022, 5:45:17 AM7/9/22
to Nick Jackson, dev
Hello,

Docker Desktop requires KVM, but if I understand correctly the lower-level Docker Engine and Docker Compose systems do not. If you install Docker Engine and Docker Compose directly, rather than using them as bundled with Docker Desktop, you can avoid virtualization.

Ultimately the Hypothesis server just needs to be able to reach its services (Elasticsearch, Postgres, RabbitMQ) via TCP, so it is possible to avoid Docker and containers entirely, at the cost of convenience. In production we use cloud versions of these systems managed by AWS or CloudAMQP (in the case of RabbitMQ).

Regards,
Robert.