project submission begins!

Lisp NYC

Oct 1, 2013, 12:40:20 PM10/1/13
to lisp-in-summer-pro...@lispnyc.org

We’d like to thank you for all your interesting and challenging work for Lisp in Summer Projects!

September 30 was the last day of development, starting today, October 1st through October 24th we’ll be accepting the results of your summer of development.

To submit your project(s), complete the form in the link below.  Please read the judging criteria carefully prior to filling out form as it provides you detailed information on how your project is judged.

http://LispInSummerProjects.org/submit-project

Here are some additional links for your information:

Judging Criteria: http://LispInSummerProjects.org/judging-criteria

List of judges: http://LispInSummerProjects.org/judges

Judging Dates: http://LispInSummerProjects.org/timeline

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Inaimathi

Oct 1, 2013, 11:20:58 PM10/1/13
to lisp-in-summer-pro...@lispnyc.org
So here are some questions I have:

1. How are the judging criteria weighed? In particular
   a) if your project is a piece of server software that's meant to be installed behind a reverse proxy with particular build instructions, how many points do you lose as a result of "Ease of Installation"? Is that mitigated by a running public instance that people can use by typing in the proper URL instead of installing it?
   b) how many points are you docked for not including a test suite?
2. If you've already described your project in detail in a document that isn't a PDF, how should you fill out the form? Do I need to export my blog posts to a PDF and submit that, or should I say "describe in this form", then post a link?

-Leo

Heow Goodman

Oct 2, 2013, 8:49:44 AM10/2/13
to lisp-in-summer-pro...@lispnyc.org
Hey Leo,

You're brought up some very good issues that I'll paraphrase:

> 1a. How are the judging criteria weighed? In particular,
> if your project is a piece of server software.

For server-side software, the "Ease of Installation" would be judged on
how much is NOT documented. Write up instructions on how to get it up
and running and don't make us grep the source for something like the DB
connect string. Particular for you, include information on the expected
network topology, exeternalities won't be held against you.

> 1b. How many points are you docked for not including a test suite?

I don't know exactly how it's weighed, but a test suite is very
important for projects that don't "do anything" like libraries. See FAQ
http://lispinsummerprojects.org/faq

> 2. If you've already described your project in detail in a document
> that isn't a PDF, how should you fill out the form?

You have a choice between answering the questions or uploading your own
nicely-formatted 3-4 page PDF where you can include graphs, tables etc.
If you decide to fill out the form, make it easy on us normalizing the
data and copy/paste rather than including links. Some of the judges,
Hickey in particular, are fond of working with printouts from the
comfort of their backyard hammock. Don't be the guy that inconveniences
Rich.

The gist of all the documentation, test suites etc. aren't because we're
mean, it's YOUR TOOLS TO HIGHLIGHT YOUR BRILLIANCE. You've invested
months of work, using the pinnacle of technology in writing some of the
best software this planet has ever seen. Leverage every tool you have
to help us appreciate how great your work is.

- heow