Want to buy/get/configure a Linux (*_not_* Android)! tablet.

Database guy

Dec 23, 2018, 1:12:41 PM12/23/18
to ILUG

What's the best way to get a proper Linux tablet?

i.e. not one running the ersatz Linux known as Android. No Google stores, no asking for my location (even despite my best efforts, it appears to able to switch it on sometimes!).

Or do I have to "root" the machine myself? Something I' reluctant to do - not much of a hardware guy? Any Linux install-fests coming up where anybody could help me with that sort oft thing?

TIA and rgs,

Pól...

paul

Dec 24, 2018, 3:31:14 AM12/24/18
to il...@linux.ie
I got fedora booted/installed on a windows x86 tablet before. But the
experience was pretty bad, driver and performance wise.

I ended up putting android on it, but that was enough of a confusing
ordeal to scare me away from suggesting it to anyone.

Maybe driver support is better now, who knows.
Also, without google play services, a copy of replicant (de-googled
android, just free software) shouldn't spy on your location for google
unless you tell it to.
> --
> Irish Linux Users Group
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/a/linux.ie/d/msgid/ilug/d69687cd-fd90-4af3-bd92-795858651b41%40linux.ie
> <https://groups.google.com/a/linux.ie/d/msgid/ilug/d69687cd-fd90-4af3-bd92-795858651b41%40linux.ie?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Francis Greaves

Dec 24, 2018, 4:33:36 AM12/24/18
to paul, il...@linux.ie
Or go for a tablet/phone which will run LineageOS and put opengaps pico on it. Works for me, keeps most of google out of my life!
Seasons Greetings to all ILUGers
Francis
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ilug+uns...@linux.ie.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/a/linux.ie/d/msgid/ilug/6d79163f-20e5-e1fa-d1a0-25fe2ef38210%40420blaze.it.

Conor Daly

Dec 24, 2018, 8:24:39 AM12/24/18
to il...@linux.ie
I did a successful ubuntu install on an Asus T102HA convertible tablet
using the linuxium.com isorespin.sh script. Camera and fingerprint
sensors do not work. Sound works through built in speakers but not
through headphone port. I use an external usb soundcard if I want
headphones.

It's a super, little, ultra-portable machine giving me a proper linux
workstation.

Asus Transformer T102HA
https://www.asus.com/ie/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS-Transformer-Mini-T102HA/
Linuxium.com isorespin.sh
http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/06/customizing-ubuntu-isos-documentation.html
Usb sound card
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545649351&sr=8-3&keywords=external+usb+sound+card

Conor

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 09:33:22AM +0000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Francis Greaves thought:

--
Conor Daly <conor...@cod.homelinuxserver.org>

Anthony Stalker

Dec 24, 2018, 9:41:23 AM12/24/18
to conor.d...@cod.homelinuxserver.org, il...@linux.ie
Hi All,

Tablets are tricky and phones are tricky, bcs they're closed hardware
controlled by the big two, so everything has to be reverse engineered
by a bunch of enthusiasts.

I think it's unlikely you will be able to do anything other than buy
something with OTTB android and flash it. (I've never flashed a device
as I am also not a big hardware guy, but I've read guides and doesn't
seem impossible, however be advised that it is fairly easy to brick
your device if you mess up!)

Unfortunately the Librem 10 didn't reach it's funding goal 2 years ago
that would have been great.

It really depends on your concerns. If you hate android because it is
a shitty blob of ugh... JAVA on a linux kernel then I'd suggest taking
a look at ubuntu Touch. Here are a list of supported devices. Note
it's not great and a bit dated:

https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/

If however your problem is not with android per se but the additional
google blobs, then I'd flash an android device with one of the many
images of androidlikes which have excised the Google tumor (I hear
some more successfully than others)

Anthony
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/a/linux.ie/d/msgid/ilug/20181224110345.GA2094%40hobbiton.cod.ie.

Colm Buckley

Dec 24, 2018, 10:16:38 AM12/24/18
to Anthony Stalker, conor.d...@cod.homelinuxserver.org, iLug Users Group
Hey folks -

In the spirit of Xmas, I'd appreciate it if you eased up on the Google trash talk. Apart from the fact that dozens of list members work for Google and don't particularly enjoy having our software referred to as a cancerous tumour, it's worth pointing out that Google systems (Android and Chrome OS) represent the vast majority of actually deployed Linux clients, and Google is one of the top sponsors of, and contributors to, OSS development globally.

         Colm

Philip Trickett

Jan 7, 2019, 8:14:39 AM1/7/19
to il...@linux.ie
I saw this over the Christmas break:

Seems to run linux quite well, but quite a significant financial outlay for it.

Phil