Donating to Camara

John Allen

Jan 10, 2020, 5:12:52 AM1/10/20
to ILUG
Can you still donate  computers to Camara at the Digital Hub?

Aidan Keady

Jan 10, 2020, 9:57:28 AM1/10/20
to John Allen, il >> Irish Linux Users Group
From their website, it seems so:

--
Irish Linux Users Group
---

Proinnsias Breathnach

Jan 10, 2020, 10:31:34 AM1/10/20
to Aidan Keady, John Allen, il >> Irish Linux Users Group
Was down there a year or so ago, and they were saying that GDPR more or less killed their model :(

Last I talked to them, they were shutting up shop and a company in Belfast was taking over

(In essence, they had no secure area to store machines that were pending erasure - so couldn’t comply with data security requirements - or so they said !)

Vladimir Rusinov

Jan 13, 2020, 5:58:28 AM1/13/20
to Proinnsias Breathnach, Aidan Keady, John Allen, il >> Irish Linux Users Group
That's a lazy solution. I wonder why don't they just return storage devices on the spot?

Are there any alternatives now? I may have some decent hardware that I don't need but it would be a waste to just trow it out?

Vladimir Rusinov

Donal Hunt

Jan 13, 2020, 6:09:45 AM1/13/20
to Vladimir Rusinov, Proinnsias Breathnach, Aidan Keady, John Allen, il >> Irish Linux Users Group
I tend to offer anything server / network related to the university netsocs I'm friendly with.

Failing that it goes to our ITAD vendor(s) for either recycling or remarketing (since they will process any data devices appropriately and provide certification we need for our auditors). While being able to give an organisation a network using 10/100 equipment might seem sensible, I find it typically causes more problems as they hit limitations quicker.

Donal

Kevin Clarke

Jan 13, 2020, 8:57:30 AM1/13/20
to Vladimir Rusinov, Proinnsias Breathnach, Aidan Keady, John Allen, il >> Irish Linux Users Group
The office companies sending them the bulk of the hardware want to see safe certified end of life.. they dont want disks back either as they still have the problem

Pól Ua Laoínecháin

Jan 13, 2020, 1:13:13 PM1/13/20
to Kevin Clarke, Vladimir Rusinov, Proinnsias Breathnach, Aidan Keady, John Allen, il >> Irish Linux Users Group
> The office companies sending them the bulk of the hardware want to see safe certified end of life.. they dont want disks back either as they still have the problem

Wouldn't a letter stating "We have applied the DBAN programme -
Algorithm XYZ to machine ABC with HDD/SSD serial no. 12345" not be
sufficient".

I remember when I was there once, they had an area separated by a
physical barrier and marked (paraphrasing) "no machine to. leave this
area without DBAN being applied".

What level of assurance do people want? Is there a State body which
certifies organisations?

Pól...

Donal Hunt

Jan 13, 2020, 1:39:04 PM1/13/20
to Pól Ua Laoínecháin, Kevin Clarke, Vladimir Rusinov, Proinnsias Breathnach, Aidan Keady, John Allen, il >> Irish Linux Users Group
It probably comes down to liability. Some background is available here: https://itak.iaitam.org/the-data-protection-indemnity-gap-serious-indemnity-exposure-haunts-itam-businesses/

Camara's challenge is probably such that they don't want to increase their insurance, processing, auditing costs such that they have to increase the charges to either donor companies or recipients. In addition, they probably want to avoid the costs of defending any legal action against them (most Irish charities are not in a financial position to do so).

Personally, I would tackle the problem head on and figure out how to change the business processes in a way that is financially viable (it's all about process, controls and auditabiity). Perhaps that what has happened and it's just not viable (most ITAD companies charge for pickups because of this).

Donal

--
Irish Linux Users Group
---

Pól Ua Laoínecháin

Jan 15, 2020, 11:06:54 AM1/15/20
to Donal Hunt, Kevin Clarke, Vladimir Rusinov, Proinnsias Breathnach, Aidan Keady, John Allen, il >> Irish Linux Users Group
Hi all,

> It probably comes down to liability.

I sent in an email enquiry re. donating machines - this is what I received back:

==================================

Thank you for considering Camara Education for the reuse of your IT
equipment. Our intention is that your IT equipment will be refurbished
to improve the education of children from disadvantaged communities in
Africa & Ireland.

We have recently partnered up with AMI, Irelands leading ITAD company
to provide our donors with a secure “end to end” chain of custody and
GDPR compliant process - covering logistics, data erasure and
equipment refurbishment.

Each data-bearing asset we receive is erased using licensed Blancco
software which ensures that no sensitive data can be recovered. If the
erasure process fails, the hard drive is removed and shredded. You
will be issued data erasure certification listing the make, model and
serial number of each computer, ensuring you are fully GDPR compliant.

We accept all IT equipment, like computers, monitores, laptops, mice,
keyboards, tablets etc.

We do ask the donating organisation to cover the cost of collection
and equipment processing so would you be able to send me a list of
equipment so I can issue you a quote?

I'm not mad keen on the "quote" bit and that certainly wasn't the case
when I was last on the premises some time ago (> 5 years).

I'm going to email them back and ask if I can sign a waiver for any
machines that I give to them if I bring them in myself. I can
understand that a business that wishes guaranteed safe disposal of
their asset might be willing to stump up money to safely get shot of
this data burden, but what about Seán Citizen? I can run DBAN myself!

The times they are a' changing!

Pól...