Cluster

Harry Duncan

Jul 30, 2021, 5:57:14 AM7/30/21
to ILUG
Hi Guys,

I have a linux server running centos, and I want warm standby machines for failover if there is a problem.

The server runs an application and has data. What differentiates a live server from warm backup is cron jobs.

I want to write a script to take up and down the cron jobs, no biggie. What I'm looking for is a way to communicate state with other servers in the cluster where when taking the master role, the server can contact other known servers in the cluster and ask are you master, and drop the task of promotion with an error if a master answers.

To achieve this, I need a way of communicating state. Is there anything in the FOSS world that you guys have experience of that fits this bill off the shelf or do I need to roll my own?

TIA,

Harry.

Colm Buckley

Jul 30, 2021, 7:36:47 AM7/30/21
to Harry Duncan, ILUG
Clusterlabs' Pacemaker - https://wiki.clusterlabs.org/wiki/Pacemaker - almost definitely can do what you want; it includes a bunch of very mature primitives for things like master elections, reliable resource takeover, etc.

Colm

--
Irish Linux Users Group
---