linux.ie gone?

John Allen

Jan 10, 2020, 5:11:01 AM1/10/20
to ILUG
I see linux.ie website is gone, what happened

Michele Neylon - Blacknight

Jan 10, 2020, 9:09:11 AM1/10/20
to John Allen, ILUG

John

I think the site has been gone for a couple of years.

Regards

Michele

--

Mr Michele Neylon

Blacknight Solutions

Hosting, Colocation & Domains

https://www.blacknight.com/

http://blacknight.blog/

Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072

Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090

Personal blog: https://michele.blog/

Some thoughts: https://ceo.hosting/

-------------------------------

Road,Graiguecullen,Carlow,R93 X265,Ireland  Company No.: 370845

--
Irish Linux Users Group
---

Ken Guest

May 21, 2021, 6:38:12 AM5/21/21
to ILUG, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, john.jo...@gmail.com

archive.org could probably tell you when. it's been a while.

Richard Rowe

May 21, 2021, 6:53:18 AM5/21/21
to Ken Guest, ILUG, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, john.jo...@gmail.com
That's a shame.
Is there any interest in doing a reboot?

Richard Rowe

May 21, 2021, 7:49:41 AM5/21/21
to Ken Guest, ILUG, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, john.jo...@gmail.com
I had a wee look, and the last message on the site was 'being transferred to another server' in 1st QTR of 2017.
So, I suppose there are three questions: 1. who holds the registration for the domain name (I've forgotten with time I'm afraid)?.
2. is the original site now long gone. 3. if we can get access to the domain name would there be an appetite to set it up again? - if only so we could host teh mailing list organically....

Michele Neylon - Blacknight

May 21, 2021, 7:52:21 AM5/21/21
to Richard Rowe, Ken Guest, ILUG, john.jo...@gmail.com

The domain has always been registered to Colm as far as I know.

The mailing list is working fine so I can’t see why anyone would want to change it – it ain’t broke

From: Richard Rowe <irish...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday 21 May 2021 at 12:49
To: Ken Guest <ken....@gmail.com>
Cc: ILUG <il...@linux.ie>, Michele Neylon <mic...@blacknight.com>, "john.jo...@gmail.com" <john.jo...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ILUG] linux.ie gone?

[EXTERNAL EMAIL] Please use caution when opening attachments from unrecognised sources.

Richard Rowe

May 21, 2021, 7:59:36 AM5/21/21
to Michele Neylon - Blacknight, Ken Guest, ILUG, john.jo...@gmail.com, Damien Hunter

Thanks Michelle,

Like I say – I’d forgotten. I wasn’t having a ‘go’ at the mailing list, just thinking outloud – I agree ‘it ain’t broke.’

The remaining question: is there an appetite for regenerating a website for Linux.ie?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Donal Hunt

May 21, 2021, 8:14:51 AM5/21/21
to Richard Rowe, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, Ken Guest, ILUG, john.jo...@gmail.com, Damien Hunter
As long as Colm doesn't turn to the darkside and sell the domain to a crypto prince[1] we should be fine... Pretty sure we're safe on that front. =)

Donal

[1] reference to recent freenode events.

Colm Buckley

May 21, 2021, 9:11:12 AM5/21/21
to Donal Hunt, Richard Rowe, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, Ken Guest, ILUG, john.jo...@gmail.com, Damien Hunter
The domain remains mine; I am not sure whether ILUG as an organisation really exists any more. Things are very different now to how they were in 1998 - we're no longer a collection of scrappy underlings fighting to help a toy OS grow up and become usable.

I'm not 100% sure what purpose a linux.ie website would now serve, but if people want to put in the effort to set something up, I could certainly throw an A or CNAME your way, although I advise thinking hard about what sort of long-term effort you're prepared for.

Colm

--
Colm Buckley | co...@tuatha.org

Damien Hunter

May 21, 2021, 9:52:01 AM5/21/21
to Colm Buckley, Donal Hunt, Richard Rowe, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, Ken Guest, ILUG, john.jo...@gmail.com
I'm sure we could think of something to do with the domain. I know ILUG may have served its purpose, but something could be down.

Colm Buckley

May 21, 2021, 10:12:10 AM5/21/21
to Richard Rowe, Ken Guest, ILUG, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, john.jo...@gmail.com
(1) Me.
(2) Yes, unfortunately.
(3) (a) Sure, but *what* would you have up on it. The effort involved is nontrivial.
(3) (b) No. Hosting your own mailing list is a recipe for endless toil and frustration, and minimal gain.

Colm

--
Colm Buckley | co...@tuatha.org

Richard Rowe

May 21, 2021, 10:42:56 AM5/21/21
to Colm Buckley, Ken Guest, ILUG, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, john.jo...@gmail.com

Colm,

many thanks for all the input into the thread.  I absolutely agree with your assessment of 3a&b :-)

I suppose my concern is that for folk who are new to the Linux ecosystem, particularly in Ireland, the Linux.ie allowed a 'here we are' type of presence, and when Meetings were a 'thing' it was useful to publicise those. The soocial envionent is  different now.... meeting up to have 'Install Fests' may no longer be relevant, in the same way having a meeting to exchange distributions on CD (yes CD not DVD..) is a nonsense. Those of us who were involved at the start are all in a different place in life - but there may be a value in having a landing point for those following on so that they can find this mailing list, for example.

Just a thought for what its worth.

Vladimir Rusinov

May 21, 2021, 12:13:07 PM5/21/21
to Richard Rowe, Colm Buckley, Ken Guest, ILUG, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, john.jo...@gmail.com

Vladimir Rusinov

Colm Buckley

May 21, 2021, 12:14:43 PM5/21/21
to Vladimir Rusinov, Richard Rowe, Ken Guest, ILUG, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, john.jo...@gmail.com
I have no objections to that; of course, provided someone's willing to keep it up to date, etc.

Colm

--
Colm Buckley | co...@tuatha.org

Richard Rowe

May 21, 2021, 1:00:19 PM5/21/21
to Colm Buckley, Vladimir Rusinov, Ken Guest, ILUG, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, john.jo...@gmail.com
I'd be content to look after it - until a more competent person volunteers! As Vladimir suggests a one or two page instance on either Blogger or Wordpress, then we could point Linux.ie to it. I'd put together a 'starter for 10' , share the link, and then anyone who wants can have input. If anyone has stuff they want to see e.g ww.dublinlinux.org - they let me know. What do you think?

Donal Hunt

May 21, 2021, 1:08:15 PM5/21/21
to Richard Rowe, Colm Buckley, Vladimir Rusinov, Ken Guest, ILUG, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, john.jo...@gmail.com
I would suggest something super simple (with minimal scaffolding) would likely be more resilient.

I've personally had great success with GitHub organisations and GitHub pages generated from a repository. You get issue tracking, user management, etc for free and I'm going to presume many are familiar with git / GitHub. Easy to point a cname at it too.

Happy to collaborate if there is consensus to do something.

Donal

Damien Hunter

May 21, 2021, 1:56:41 PM5/21/21
to Donal Hunt, Richard Rowe, Colm Buckley, Vladimir Rusinov, Ken Guest, ILUG, Michele Neylon - Blacknight, john.jo...@gmail.com
Simple HTML5/CSS/JS boilerplate could be easily modified.