USB Keyboard and Mouse not working after update on Ubuntu 14.04

Kevin Lyda

Sep 25, 2015, 12:24:33 PM9/25/15
to ILUG
As described in the link below, I did "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade" on a fresh install of an Ubuntu 14.04 system. On reboot, the USB keyboard and mouse stopped working.

Booting in recovery mode the USB k/m work fine. But I'd rather not do that all the time. I could dig in and compare what's different between the two boot paths but if someone knows off the top of their head that would be great.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/675168/usb-keyboard-mouse-not-working-after-update-on-14-04

Kevin

Paul O'Malley

Sep 25, 2015, 3:41:49 PM9/25/15
to Kevin Lyda, ILUG

No idea if it works - but looks interesting enough to give it a poke.
> --
> Irish Linux Users Group
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/a/linux.ie/d/msgid/ilug/CADJ56BRG6innLVBZ1iQyBKa7MsXLwP5kv1bq0nVbrSDV_znMmw%40mail.gmail.com.

Kevin Lyda

Sep 25, 2015, 5:37:07 PM9/25/15
to Paul O'Malley, ILUG
On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 8:41 PM Paul O'Malley <omp...@gmail.com> wrote:

No idea if it works - but looks interesting enough to give it a poke.

Nope. The USB ports are fine. I know they work because they work if I boot Ubuntu in recovery mode. It's not a BIOS setting, it's not broken hardware, it's something being screwed up in terms of kernel boot configs *or* in regard to the X config. Or perhaps in how the USB drivers are loaded.

Kevin

Colm Buckley

Sep 25, 2015, 5:44:18 PM9/25/15
to Kevin Lyda, Paul O'Malley, ILUG
Does the text console still work?

Can you get in via SSH or whatever to diagnose the system while it's still running, or do you have to reboot into recovery mode to get at logs?

Colm

--
Irish Linux Users Group
---

Kevin Lyda

Sep 25, 2015, 5:51:55 PM9/25/15
to Colm Buckley, Paul O'Malley, ILUG
On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:44 PM Colm Buckley <co...@tuatha.org> wrote:
Does the text console still work?

No idea - it goes straight to X. I'll look at disabling that - the box isn't here annoyingly.

Can you get in via SSH or whatever to diagnose the system while it's still running, or do you have to reboot into recovery mode to get at logs?

No, because the network is pants - this is at the GTC. I'm going to bring in an rpi2 and a hub to connect into it on Tuesday. But yes, that seems like an easier way to deal with the issue.

X does start up differently. In recovery mode X is set up for a bigger screen than my monitor supports so it's in that tedious viewport mode where you move your mouse to the edges and then it pans to the part of the X screen you can't see.

Kevin

Colm Buckley

Sep 25, 2015, 5:59:40 PM9/25/15
to Kevin Lyda, Paul O'Malley, ILUG
Can't you do ctrl-shift-f7 or something to get back to text console from X? I *think* that's handled by a different keyboard driver so might "still work". But yeah - first thing I'd do is figure out whether this is an X problem or a USB problem.

Colm

Kevin Lyda

Sep 25, 2015, 6:04:03 PM9/25/15
On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:59 PM Colm Buckley <co...@tuatha.org> wrote:
Can't you do ctrl-shift-f7 or something to get back to text console from X? I *think* that's handled by a different keyboard driver so might "still work". But yeah - first thing I'd do is figure out whether this is an X problem or a USB problem.

Ctrl-alt-f1 I think. That's how you walk through the virtual consoles - though in text mode it's Alt-fn (with f7 usually be console for X). I think I tried it, but it didn't work. I'll try again in recovery mode just to make sure there's not something stupid with the f-keys.

Kevin

Vanush "Misha" Paturyan

Sep 27, 2015, 12:51:55 PM9/27/15
to ILUG
It sounds like a version mismatch between X keyboard drivers and
something within kernel. Did repos for jenkins and docker include
newer kernel by any chance? Are there any clues on what's going on
inside /var/log/Xorg.0.log? (And, if I remember correctly, if you boot
into rescue mode, the log file from previous start up of X will be in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old).

Misha.
> --
> Irish Linux Users Group
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/a/linux.ie/d/msgid/ilug/CADJ56BQF8YVtXDOAwxQmT4NKkEo3gNxkXL-8DWtTfn-K7QZDkg%40mail.gmail.com.

Philippe Grange

Sep 29, 2015, 7:17:55 AM9/29/15
to Vanush Misha Paturyan, ILUG
Hi,

If it is still not fix you may wanna try:

update-usbids

Good luck

Ph. GRANGE
¨One of the universal rules of happiness is: always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.¨
-- (Terry Pratchett, Jingo)

Kevin Lyda

Sep 29, 2015, 9:20:24 AM9/29/15
to Philippe Grange, Vanush Misha Paturyan, ILUG
On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM Philippe Grange <philipp...@gmail.com> wrote:
If it is still not fix you may wanna try:

update-usbids

Unfortunately I did two things:

I accepted a Software Update from a desktop session (which I assume does something like an apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade but perhaps does other things) AND I did your update-usbids.

Not sure if either of them fixed the issue but the issue is now resolved. A normal boot now results in a working keyboard and mouse.

Kevin