Handling lateness with staff

Joanne Adam

Jun 24, 2022, 12:06:59 PM6/24/22
to lilibr...@lilrc.org
Hello all,
Does anyone have a policy or procedure in place about staff using benefit time when they are late? Can they charge their vacation time or personal time if you have it? Do you allow them to make up the time by staying late? Do you not pay them for the time they are late? What is the smallest increment you allow staff to use for vacation time? (Full day, half day, 1 hour, 15 minutes, etc.)

I'm looking at this due to a few staff members who are chronically late, but then we allow them to use benefit time so there is sometimes no big incentive to get here on time.

I didn't think we could "not pay" them if they have benefit time on the books, but my attorney says we can. I'm looking to make some clear guidelines as we start our new fiscal year, so any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank you in advance!

--
Joanne M. Adam
Library Director