Upcoming lnd Minor Releases: v0.10.2 and v0.10.3

Olaoluwa Osuntokun

Jun 30, 2020, 6:10:16 PM6/30/20
to lnd
Hi y'all,

We have _two_ upcoming minor releases that will be dropping soon. We've
opted to split what was formerly a single release into two releases in order
to segregate new features from important bug fixes.

lnd v0.10.2 is now in its 4th release candidate. This is the pure bug fix
release. The notable bug-fixes in this release include:

  * Fixing an SCB bug that would cause lnd to override the on-disk SCB file
    if a user started up a _new_ lnd instance using an _existing_ data
    directory.  We'll now always combine what we have with what's on-disk,
    assuming we can decrypt it. If we can't decrypt it, then we'll just fail
    to start.

  * Support for bitcoind v0.20. An RPC error message chained in the recent
    release, which can trip up the wallet or UTXO sweeping logic.

  * A modification to the way payments are sent out from lnd to ensure the
    router has more up-to-date data which allows it to avoid unnecessary
    _internal_ failures.

  * A bug fix to ensure we properly encode the feature bits of channel
    updates.  There was a bit of a mix-up w.r.t to where the "wumbo feature
    bit" is placed, causing versions of the other implementations to include
    it in the node announcement, and others to include it in the channel
    update message.  Before this fix we didn't include these feature bits
    (as the weren't yet used for anything), which could cause peer
    instability and flappy connections. This has now been resolved.

    This fix should help to store stability to p2p connections, especially
    those with other implementations. This issue may have exacerbated the
    current active force close bug as it's linked to incorrect data being
    sent or assumed during the channel re-establishment logic.

    We're diligently working to resolve this force close issue now that
    we've identified the root cause, and are also able to reliably reproduce
    the scenario. Users can expect a fix for this issue to land in either
    v0.11 or a minor release which follows closely after v0.11 has been
    released.

The latest released candidate for v0.10.2 can be found here:
https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/releases/tag/v0.10.2-beta.rc4.

Next we have: v0.10.3. This release includes everything above, but also
includes a number of refactoring that allow lnd to be more easily embedded
within other Go projects/applications. Our mobile bindings haven't yet been
updated to account for these API changes, so users can keep with v0.10.2 if
they rely on those APIs.

The latest released candidate for v0.10.3 can be found here:
https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/releases/tag/v0.10.3-beta.rc1.

-- Laolu