lnd v0.14.3 - Release Candidate 1

Olaoluwa Osuntokun

Mar 28, 2022, 6:59:58 PM3/28/22
to lnd
Hi y'all,

We've recently cut the first release candidate for the upcoming v0.14.3
release:
https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/releases/tag/v0.14.3-beta.rc1

There're no migrations or bug fixes in this release, instead just a series
of bug fixes. Notable bug fixes in this release include:

 * A fix to eliminate a deadlock discovered in the invoice registry that can
   appear under rare scenarios.

 * A bug fix to ensure the remote signing operating mode is compatible with
   all the variants of describing a public key to be used for signing.
   Before this fix, certain workflows when using the remote signer w/ a
   pool/loop instance didn't work properly.

 * A bug fix to ensure that when/if a 3rd party sweeps an anchor output
   (after it sits in the chain for 16 blocks unclaimed), our local wallet
   UTXO state is updated properly. Previously, this would cause any
   unconfirmed spends rooted at a swept output to incorrectly linger in the
   wallet (they're now recursively removed properly).

Aside from bug fixes, a new config value has been added to allow users to
control the TTL used for etcd leader election. Lowering this value can allow
the lnd cluster to heal more quickly in the event that the leader
unreachable for w/e reason.

One additional change we're considering is modifying the existing
`SendToRoute` API to _always_ use the new modern TLV payload format. On the
spec side, we're looking to entirely remove the old legacy onion payload
format. The default state of not using the new TLV payload for this call may
be contributing to observation of a non-trivial amount of payments that
still use the older API calls. AFAICT, this change should be safe (default
to TLV payload always), but I'm very curious to learn if this shift would
break any applications already deployed in the wild.

As always, feel free to reach out if you have any questions or reservations
w.r.t upgrading to this new release.

In the background, we've continued to chug away on the 0.15 major release.
I'd say we can expect an initial release candidate for 0.15 sometime in the
month of April.

-- Laolu