3D virtual contra dancing, every Thursday

Lavender Country and Folk Dancers

May 4, 2021, 8:57:06 PMMay 4
to lcfd-a...@lcfd.org, past-c...@lcfd.org, Bob Peterson
See below from Bob Peterson, reply to b...@contracorner.com

Dear fellow LCFD friends,

There will be a 3D virtual contra dance held in Second Life weekly. We're just launching but have had a couple successful trials. We feature 3D dancing in the virtual world of Second Life. The dances are longways contras, waltzes, and some English country dances. I will be DJing the series but at some point we hope we can get live music. We might experiment with live calling, too.

What's nice about this experience is watching your avatar among a line of dancers, and text chatting with everyone while listening to excellent music. You'll feel some of the joy of dancing, its sights, sounds, and socializing. It's quite different from Zoom dancing.

When: Thursdays from 7:30PM to 9:30 PM eastern daylight time (4:30 to 6:30 Second Life time)
Where: Folkdance barn at Cabria Village inside Second Life (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cabria%20Village/81/20/22)
How to get started: We've prepared a guide for newcomers at https://secondlife.contracorner.com

If you have never used Second Life we have temporary loaner accounts for you. They get you going fairly quickly without committing yourself to making an account. While SL accounts are free, the loaner accounts have decent looking avatars, and avatar personalization is a bit tricky. But whether you use your own account or a loaner you should practice a bit in Second Life beforehand.

Who is doing this? Larry Copes (Lec3 @ Second Life, a contra dancer in Connecticut) wrote the longways contra dance machine in Second Life. Bob Peterson (Hooten Haller @ Second Life) assisted with additional advice and devices, as well as DJ. In Second Life our screen names are and.

I hope some of you will join us! It isn't queer-specific but it is welcoming. If you have questions you can reach Larry (see the weblink above) or myself.

Thanks!
Bob Peterson, b...@contracorner.com