Singularity installation

Jonathan

Oct 13, 2021, 3:18:00 PM10/13/21
to Warewulf
I have installed singularity and singularity-ohpc on both my master node and my compute nodes.  It works as expected on the master node.  Singularity itself runs on my compute nodes, but there is no squashfs in the running kernel as shown by /proc/filesystems.  squashfs-tools 4.3-0.21 is already on both master and compute nodes (according to yum).

Does anybody see what I'm doing wrong?  TIA!

Jason Stover

Oct 13, 2021, 6:14:37 PM10/13/21
to Warewulf
You probably don't have the full kernel-modules package installed in
the compute image, so add `squashfs` as a module to be added into the
bootstrap and rebuild it.

Just to cover filesystems you could add in a:

drivers += kernel/fs/

-Jason

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 2:18 PM Jonathan <j...@newtrumpet.org> wrote:

> I have installed singularity and singularity-ohpc on both my master node and my compute nodes. It works as expected on the master node. Singularity itself runs on my compute nodes, but there is no squashfs in the running kernel as shown by /proc/filesystems. squashfs-tools 4.3-0.21 is already on both master and compute nodes (according to yum).
>
> Does anybody see what I'm doing wrong? TIA!

Gregory M. Kurtzer

Oct 13, 2021, 10:14:21 PM10/13/21
to ware...@lbl.gov
Just a note,... Warewulf 4 doesn't require changing bootstrap.conf to add kernel modules.

Also, the 4.2.0 rc1 has been tagged and released.

--
Gregory M. Kurtzer
Director, The Rocky Enterprise Software Foundation: http://www.rockylinux.org

Gregory M. Kurtzer

Oct 14, 2021, 7:15:44 PM10/14/21
to Jonathan, Warewulf
Real quick question, are you currently running Warewulf v3? If so, I believe the file you would want to edit would be in the warewulf system config dir (e.g. /etc/warewulf/bootstrap.conf) but that is of course dependent on the configure options you compiled with (e.g. --prefix). If it was installed via RPM, it should be in /etc/warewulf/bootstrap.conf. Once edited, you will need to run wwmkbootstrap again for that kernel.

Regarding forcedeth, I don't see that even available in the Rocky8 kernel (which is the same as CentOS and RHEL). Is forcedeth still supported in more recent kernels?

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 7:44 AM Jonathan <j...@newtrumpet.org> wrote:
I added drivers += kernel/fs/ and modprobe += squashfs into /etc/bootstrap.conf and then rebuilt it with the wwbootstrap command.  Not only is there no squashfs, but  I now have fewer drivers than I did before!  Perhaps I also need to follow up with the wwvnfs command...  And per our earlier conversation, I never got forcedeth in their either, so my 12-core nodes are still offline.  They worked great on perceus!

And speaking of perceus, thank you Greg for coming out with ww4.  Do you have any plans for the old ww2 monitoring commands, such as wwtop or wwnodes?  I found those commands very handy, along with the perceus commands such as "perceus node status".  Those commands prevented me from making dumb mistakes as I am probably making right now.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted