tfpboot - no space left on device

lpr

Mar 22, 2022, 5:51:52 PM3/22/22
to Warewulf
Hello,

I'm familiar with v3 but this is my first adventure with v4 and it may be pilot error, but I'm receiving a no space left on device error when PXE booting. The warewulf server itself has plenty of room, it looks to be on the client side. Any hints would be appreciated.

os=redhat8
warewulf=4.2.0
network card=mellanox connectx-5 (IP not IB).

The image was imported from a ~16G singularity image.

Please let me know what other info may be relevant.

Thanks,
Lew
Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 17-43-57 iDRAC-JWLW8B3 PowerEdge R640 User root FPS 6.4.png

John Hanks

Mar 23, 2022, 8:56:46 AM3/23/22
to Warewulf
First guess is that your compressed image is > 2 GB, if so you can try switching to UEFI boot as it'll enable you to boot images up to 4 GB (EFI has a 64 bit address space). If you want to boot > 4 GB, you'll need to use imgextract instead of initrd in your ipxe script to work around a kernel issue uncompressing images > 4 GB. The next release of WW4 will have a bigimage.ipxe template, https://github.com/hpcng/warewulf/blob/main/etc/ipxe/bigimage.ipxe which you can use now or as an example to make your own.

I've found with some older servers, about 8 GB is the limit while my newer servers have been fine all the way up to a 12 Gb compressed image file which makes this seem very hardware dependent.

griznog

lpr

Mar 23, 2022, 10:48:15 AM3/23/22
to Warewulf, gri...@gmail.com
Thank you. That sounds like it's probably the issue, I'll give the imgextract and bigimage.ipxe template a try later this week when I'm back at the data center.
For my own clarification, when you mention the 8 GB and 12 GB limits, is that with using imgextract?

John Hanks

Mar 23, 2022, 10:52:54 AM3/23/22
to lpr, Warewulf
On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 9:48 AM lpr <lew.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you. That sounds like it's probably the issue, I'll give the imgextract and bigimage.ipxe template a try later this week when I'm back at the data center.
For my own clarification, when you mention the 8 GB and 12 GB limits, is that with using imgextract?

Yes, nothing over 4 GB will work without imgextract, the kernel will choke on a compressed image > 4 GB if it does the decompressing step. imgextract has ipxe do the decompression and passes a full filesystem to the kernel (if I understand this all correctly, but I can say it at least behaves as if this is what is happening.)

griznog