How to build bootable container image

Jose Bautista Barato

Jan 26, 2023, 5:26:23 AM1/26/23
to Warewulf
Hi folks.
I am trying to realize stateless provision using centos 8.
I can find container images ` warewulf/centos` and ` warewulf/centos-8`  in warewulf Dockerhub account.
But I faced issues with both images.
- warewulf/centos:8
I imported the container and wanted to change image. But I found that in that container, yum.repo list are all old ones.
```shell
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'AppStream': Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: No URLs in mirrorlist
```
- warewulf/centos-8
When I attempt to import, it fails with this error.
```shell
ERROR  : Could not build container centos-8: Failed discovering files for VNFS container centos-8.4: /var/lib/warewulf/chroots/centos-8.rootfs: stat .exec: no such file or directory
```

Is there any ready-to-use images for centos8? Or any guide how to build bootable images from normal container image?

Regards.

Gregory M. Kurtzer

Jan 27, 2023, 12:51:56 PM1/27/23
to ware...@lbl.gov
Hi Jose,

I can't verify right now, but this is probably due to the fact that CentOS has been EOL'ed (end of lifed) by Red Hat. CentOS-8 doesn't exist anymore. Rocky-8 is a drop-in replacement for CentOS-8. The container is present at docker://warewulf/rocky

Hope that helps!
Greg

Gregory M. Kurtzer
Director, The Rocky Enterprise Software Foundation: http://www.rockylinux.org

Steve Jones

Jan 27, 2023, 1:48:06 PM1/27/23
to ware...@lbl.gov
Hi,

I can say in the hundreds of cluster builds I've done so far using the rocky-8 container Greg referenced that it works well. You can view our openhpc recipe for warewulf4 in the following link to see how we use it:

Hope this helps.

Steve