Job spawning using mpirun with ibv-conduit fails

Aditya Bandla

Jun 14, 2019, 2:20:44 PM6/14/19
to upc-users
UPC launches jobs properly when using the mpi-conduit, but fails when using the ibv-conduit with the following warning:

WARNING: Don't know how to control process->node layout with your mpirun

WARNING: PROCESS LAYOUT MIGHT NOT MATCH YOUR REQUEST

I am not sure why mpirun gets (possibly?) misconfigured when using ibv

Paul Hargrove

Jun 14, 2019, 2:50:26 PM6/14/19
to Aditya Bandla, upc-users
Aditya,

You say "fails when using the ibv-conduit" but provide only a (non-fatal) warning message.
Does it run or not?
Does it run with the requested layout?

If you could tell us what MPI implementation you are using, we might be able to help.

-Paul

Paul H. Hargrove <PHHar...@lbl.gov>
Computer Languages & Systems Software (CLaSS) Group
Computer Science Department
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

aditya bandla

Jun 15, 2019, 6:24:25 AM6/15/19
to Paul Hargrove, upc-users
Hi Paul

The program runs, but spawns all processes on one node, something which has been reported earlier on this group. But unfortunately none of the solutions worked for me.
I am using openmpi 1.10.2 running on a x86_64 linux HPC, using icc version 16.0.1 (gcc version 4.9.3 compatibility)

ibv_devices gives me mlx5_0
mpirun command defaults to mpirun -np %N %C

Aditya

Paul Hargrove

Jun 17, 2019, 2:49:04 PM6/17/19
to aditya bandla, upc-users
Aditya,

I believe recent changes in GASNet should improve the execution with Open MPI 1.10.x.  You may be able to fix your problem by replacing gasnet/mpi/contrib/gasnetrun_mpi.pl in with this one:

To avoid rebuilding, it should be sufficient to replace all instances (there are more than one) of gasnetrun_mpi.pl in the install directory.

Hope this helps,
-Paul