Expected power outage affecting UPC/UPC++/GASNet online services

Dan Bonachea

Oct 26, 2019, 3:41:14 PM10/26/19
to UPC++, upcxx-a...@lbl.gov, upc-users, gasnet-...@lbl.gov, gasnet...@lbl.gov, Pagoda
Dear colleagues -

The main Berkeley Lab site has been notified that we are in a geographic zone with a high likelihood of being affected by a PG&E public safety power shutdown (PSPS) this weekend. This expectation is based on weather forecasts of extremely high winds and dry conditions.

In preparation for this expected power event, a number of systems affecting the websites of Berkeley UPC, UPC++, GASNet, and the default UPC-to-C translation service used in Berkeley UPC are likely to be taken offline this weekend. Also affected are the HPC systems at NERSC (eg cori). The systems are expected to return to service early next week, but the details depend largely on PG&E's schedule for inspecting power lines for damage after the danger has passed, as this may be a prerequisite for re-energizing power.

Information below provides details to help mitigate the impact to users during the expected outage. The links below should continue to work and provide the majority of functionality web visitors are likely to need.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience. Rest assured we are working to try and lessen the impact of future such outages.

-Dan Bonachea
on behalf of the Pagoda group

Status
UPC++
Online installers for outdated releases might not function during the outage. Users are recommended to download the current 2019.9.0 release which uses an offline installer.

GASNet

Download mirrors should remain available:

Berkeley UPC

Download mirrors should remain available:
Users who rely on the default BUPC online translator may experience significant compilation delays as upcc times-out twice before reaching the tertiary server.  Therefore, users who experience such delays are encouraged to pass
when invoking upcc. Alternatively, one may set the UPCC_FLAGS environment variable to that same string.

Dan Bonachea

Oct 29, 2019, 3:52:35 PM10/29/19
to UPC++, upcxx-a...@lbl.gov, upc-users, gasnet-...@lbl.gov, gasnet...@lbl.gov, Pagoda
Power to LBNL has been restored and we believe all Pagoda online content has been returned to service.

Many portions of California remain without power, but current PG&E estimates indicate LBNL should remain powered for at least the near-term.

Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.