trouble with glibc when using nvidia driver

Christophe Trophime

Mar 1, 2022, 8:21:09 AM3/1/22
to singu...@lbl.gov
Hi,
I'm running into a problem when trying to build a singularity container for some paraview app:

singularity shell docker/paraview-visualizer.sif
Singularity> pvpython -m paraview.apps.trame --data ~
/opt/paraview/bin/pvpython-real: error while loading shared libraries: libEGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Singularity> export TRAME_APP=pv_visualizer
Singularity> pvpython -m paraview.apps.trame --data ~
/opt/paraview/bin/pvpython-real: error while loading shared libraries: libEGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

My host is a debian/testing with glic 2.33 and the container is a ubuntu/focal with glibc 2.31.
Is there a way to work around this issue

Best
singularity.def

Christophe Trophime

Mar 5, 2022, 12:36:01 PM3/5/22
to singu...@lbl.gov
Hi,
actually the error shows up when I use the --nv option.

My understanding of the problem is that using --nv I get the driver from the host (eg debian bookworm)
The driver for bookworm are build against libc6 2.33. In the container which is running ubuntu 20.04
libc6 is 2.31 hence the trouble when trying to use libEGL.so.1 from the host running debian/bookworm.

If I'm correct, my question is how to work around libc incompatibilty when using singularity containers
if this is ever possible.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2022 at 1:03 AM Dave Dykstra <d...@fnal.gov> wrote:
Ok, I didn't see the attached definition file.  I was able to reproduce
the problem.  So what you're asking in a nutshell is where to get that
library from?  That's one of the libraries that's supposed to be bound
in from the host with the --nv option, I didn't recognize it.  So you're
running on a host that has the nvidia GPU libraries installed, and if
you do `singularity shell --nv docker/paraview-visualizer.sif` you get
the same error?  Your command below doesn't show using --nv.

Dave

On Wed, Mar 02, 2022 at 09:15:04AM +0100, 'Christophe Trophime' via discuss wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> the libegl.so is not installed in the container so far.
> To repoduce the problem, just rebuild the container with the recipe
> atteched in my first email on a debian/testing host.
> Then to trigger the problem" try to run with option --nv the following
> commands in the container:
>
> export TRAME_APP=pv_visualizer

> pvpython -m paraview.apps.trame --data ~
>
> You shall get an error message at this point.
>
> Best
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 1:00 AM Dave Dykstra <d...@fnal.gov> wrote:
>
> > Christophe,
> >
> > Does the libEGL.so.1 file exist in the container?  Perhaps you could add
> > its directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> >
> > You haven't given us enough information on how to reproduce your problem,
> > so there's not much for us to go on.
> >
> > Dave
> > > --
> > an email to singularity...@lbl.gov.
> > https://groups.google.com/a/lbl.gov/d/msgid/singularity/CADU1CXny_k9%2BtyzhW%2BnVyWgc%3DPQr5QMX3dLFwA%3Dmkoznk-uJoA%40mail.gmail.com
> > .
> > >
> > > --
> > an email to discuss+u...@apptainer.org.
> > https://groups.google.com/a/apptainer.org/d/msgid/discuss/CADU1CXny_k9%2BtyzhW%2BnVyWgc%3DPQr5QMX3dLFwA%3Dmkoznk-uJoA%40mail.gmail.com
> > .
> >
> > --
> > https://groups.google.com/a/apptainer.org/d/msgid/discuss/Yh6zjB/TmIQNELOe%40fnal.gov
> > .

Christophe Trophime

Mar 25, 2022, 3:38:22 AM3/25/22
to Dave Dykstra, singu...@lbl.gov
Hi Dave,
I finaly manage to find the problem. You were right. This culprit was not singularity but a broken config
for EGL. My debian is setup for using nvidia driver. This can be seen by checking opngl setup with glxinfo
nut eglinfo reports that I'm using mesa. Forcing libEGLso.1 to point to the egl nvidia version fix the issue.

The problem is actually a misconfiguration from glx-diversion in debian.
Best

On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 5:53 PM Dave Dykstra <d...@fnal.gov> wrote:
I suggest that you submit an issue to https://github.com/apptainer/apptainer
and include output from
    singularity -d shell docker/paraview-visualizer.sif

Dave