Trouble running image (can't mount image /proc/self/fd/3)

Shakthi Visagan

Mar 6, 2020, 8:12:45 PM3/6/20
to singularity
Hi,

I have some experience running singularity images on a slurm cluster but I'm having trouble running locally on my Mac. I tried the following on my terminal after downloading and installing Singularity (version 3.3.0-rc.1.658.g7427b73f1.dirty):

singularity pull docker://godlovedc/lolcow
singularity --debug run ./lolcow_latest.sif

I got the expected output from running this (the lolcow with the endearing message). However, when I try to run the following command:

sudo singularity --debug run ../<relevant_singularity_img>.img

I get the following error:

FATAL:   container creation failed: mount /proc/self/fd/3->/var/singularity/mnt/session/rootfs error: can't mount image /proc/self/fd/3: failed to mount ext3 filesystem: invalid argument

I've tried things like: clearing the singularity cache, running as sudo, running with various verbose flags, changing the permissions on the singularity image, but nothing has worked so far. It's always been the error message above. Can anyone give me some insight on this issue and on how to proceed. Do you think it is an issue with the singularity image I'm using? Should I be using a .sif image instead? What is difficult about this error is that this exact same image ../<relevant_singularity_image>.img works on my slurm cluster with no issues regarding mounting.