ERROR : No more available loop devices, try increasing 'max loop devices' in singularity.conf

feng sang

May 29, 2021, 11:36:44 PM5/29/21
to singularity
Q: I have some troubles with singularity when running an image as same as the title, and try to find solutions and failed. I try other versions of singularity, such as 2.4, 2.5, and other operating systems like Debian, Centos, there is the same error.

Configuration:
  • singularity version: 2.6.1-dist
  • os version: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS in Windows 10 WSL
  • pull image: singularity pull --name hello.simg shub://vsoch/hello-world
  • run image: singularity shell hello.simg

Thanks so much.

Gregory M. Kurtzer

May 30, 2021, 12:22:07 AM5/30/21
to singu...@lbl.gov
Why are you running such an old version?

3.7.4 was just released, and if memory serves, this bug was squashed literally years ago. ;-)

Good luck and let us know how the newer version works for ya!

Greg

Gregory M. Kurtzer
Director, The Rocky Enterprise Software Foundation: http://www.rockylinux.org

feng sang

May 31, 2021, 3:05:21 AM5/31/21
to singularity, Gregory Kurtzer
Thank your reply. There only is version 2.4.2 on the server, and I have no authority to install a newer version. So I want to test the old version singularity on the local computer. But the error is so troublesome.

Gregory M. Kurtzer

May 31, 2021, 1:43:33 PM5/31/21
to feng sang, singularity
There are a number of security and usability bugs which have been fixed since 2.4.2 (I believe including the one you've cited) and those versions should really upgrade ASAP.

Greg

feng sang

Jun 1, 2021, 4:35:18 AM6/1/21
to singularity, Gregory Kurtzer
The problem is solved by adding the option "--sandbox" when building an image. Thank you so much for your reply.

Feng Sang

Gregory M. Kurtzer

Jun 1, 2021, 12:24:23 PM6/1/21
to feng sang, singularity
Good point, the --sandbox doesn't consume any loop devices!

But again, just to reiterate, there are security issues with the versions of Singularity you are using. Please consider upgrading!