Are there any methods to retrieve and download 16S rRNA gene sequences from a large number of metagenomes at once?

Ilnam Kang

Nov 14, 2019, 2:25:40 AM11/14/19
to IMG User Forum
Hi,

I've been trying to retrieve and download 16S rRNA gene sequences from a large number (>500) of metagenomes at once.

Below is the approach I've been doing.

------
(After adding metagenoms into the Genome Cart)
Find Genes -->
Gene Search -->
Enter "Bacterial SSU" for Gene Product Name (inexact)
------

But, in this way, the number of metagenomes that can be searched is capped at 50. Further, if the number of 16S rRNA genes retrieved from the metagenomes exceeds 20000, I cannot add all these 16S rRNA genes into Gene Cart for export. So, I think this approach would take much time and effort for a large number of metagenomes.

Are there any convenient ways to download 16S rRNA gene sequences from a large number of metagenomes?

Thanks.

Ken Chu

Nov 18, 2019, 11:32:16 PM11/18/19
to IMG User Forum
You can download IMG's data set from the JGI Portal

The Portal has a API for bulk downloads.

-IMG