upcrun error

ztdepyahoo

Dec 22, 2019, 3:40:32 AM12/22/19
to upc-...@lbl.gov
     I just compiled the hello.upc in the example directory. but when i run with "upcrun -np 12 ./hello" , it gives me the following errors; Could you please help me out

** WARNING (proc 1): GASNet gasnetc_init returning an error code: GASNET_ERR_RESOURCE (Problem with requested resource)
 at /home/ztdep/Downloads/berkeley_upc-2019.4.4/gasnet/ibv-conduit/gasnet_core.c:2084
 reason: unable to open any HCA ports
*** WARNING (proc 1): GASNet gex_Client_Init_GASNET_201990SEQpshmFASTnodebugnotracenostatsnodebugmallocnosrclines returning an error code: GASNET_ERR_RESOURCE (Problem with requested resource)
 at /home/ztdep/Downloads/berkeley_upc-2019.4.4/gasnet/ibv-conduit/gasnet_core.c:2915
UPC Runtime: GASNet error GASNET_ERR_RESOURCE(Problem with requested resource): gex_Client_Init failed!
NOTICE: Before reporting bugs, run with GASNET_BACKTRACE=1 in the environment to generate a backtrace.
NOTICE: We recommend linking the debug version of GASNet to assist you in resolving this application issue.
*** WARNING (proc 0): GASNet gasnetc_init returning an error code: GASNET_ERR_RESOURCE (Problem with requested resource)
 at /home/ztdep/Downloads/berkeley_upc-2019.4.4/gasnet/ibv-conduit/gasnet_core.c:2084
 reason: unable to open any HCA ports
*** WARNING (proc 0): GASNet gex_Client_Init_GASNET_201990SEQpshmFASTnodebugnotracenostatsnodebugmallocnosrclines returning an error code: GASNET_ERR_RESOURCE (Problem with requested resource)
 at /home/ztdep/Downloads/berkeley_upc-2019.4.4/gasnet/ibv-conduit/gasnet_core.c:2915
UPC Runtime: GASNet error GASNET_ERR_RESOURCE(Problem with requested resource): gex_Client_Init failed!
NOTICE: Before reporting bugs, run with GASNET_BACKTRACE=1 in the environment to generate a backtrace.
NOTICE: We recommend linking the debug version of GASNet to assist you in resolving this application issue.

Paul Hargrove

Dec 22, 2019, 2:35:24 PM12/22/19
to ztdepyahoo, upc-users
The quoted output is consistent with a system on which InfiniBand headers and libraries were detected at configure time, but no corresponding InfiniBand network hardware is present.  If you are trying to run on a multi-node cluster and believe that InfiniBand network hardware is present, please let us know and we can help determine why the network is not found at runtime.  The remainder of this reply assumes there is no InfiniBand network.

If you are interested only in running on a single host, please try recompiling hello.upc with "--network=smp" to request use of shared-memory communication.

If you are trying to run on a multi-node cluster connected with ethernet, please try recompiling hello.upc with "--network=udp".

If you have some other cluster network, let us know and we can help sort out the best options for you.

If either the "smp" or "udp" network option resolves your problem, then I would recommend that you make it the corresponding network your default.  The best way is probably to return to the configure step in the installation instructions and pass "--with-default-network=NET", replacing "NET" with "smp" or "udp" as appropriate.  Additionally passing "--disable-ibv" will omit the unnecessary support for InfiniBand from the install, but is not strictly necessary.

However, if you cannot reconfigure and reinstall Berkeley UPC (or just do not wish to), then there are other ways to change the default without reinstallation.  You can use an environment variable (UPCC_FLAGS=-network=udp) or a configuration file (add "default_network=udp" to ~/.upccrc).  These solutions are described in more detail at https://upc.lbl.gov/docs/user/upcc.html

-Paul

Paul H. Hargrove <PHHar...@lbl.gov>
Computer Languages & Systems Software (CLaSS) Group
Computer Science Department
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory