Singularity repository move and company updates

Gregory M. Kurtzer

May 8, 2020, 4:00:14 PM5/8/20
to singularity, tu...@sylabs.io
Singularity team and community:

Sylabs, the prominent company behind Singularity, has been acquired by its investor, RStor. Aside from that, nothing will change with regards to the products, offerings, or dedication to the customers and user base.

Gregory Kurtzer, the previous Sylabs CEO, as well as the founder and project lead of Singularity, has decided to move on from Sylabs and start a new company which will leverage Singularity as a foundational building block. As a result, Jason Tuschen has taken over as CEO of Sylabs, and Greg will remain as the Singularity Open Source project lead.

The Singularity community and related Singularity open source projects that Sylabs has been part of will be transferred to a community-focused Github organization led by Greg. Sylabs will continue to actively participate in the development, support, and management of the open source Singularity project moving forward, with Dave Trudgian at Sylabs remaining as the release manager.

We expect much more community and corporate involvement moving forward as we have great  plans for the massive success of this project, and we thank you for being part of such a great community. Everything just keeps on getting better!

Warm regards,

Gregory Kurtzer, CtrlCmd CEO: g...@ctrl-cmd.com
Jason Tuschen, Sylabs CEO:  tu...@sylabs.io

John Hearns

May 8, 2020, 4:04:29 PM5/8/20
to singu...@lbl.gov
Greg, sincerest good luck.
you have created a great product and it deserves to be more widely used.

David Trudgian

May 12, 2020, 4:25:47 PM5/12/20
to singularity, tu...@sylabs.io
All,

The new home of the singularity repository is now https://github.com/hpcng/singularity

You can still reach this via redirect from the older sylabs/singularity and singularityware/singularity locations on the web, and when interacting using Git. This means that you shouldn't see issues with your tools, builds etc. However, you may wish to update repository configurations etc. to point to the new location.

Please let us know if you experience any problems with access.

Thanks for your patience and understanding as we've worked on this.

May 12, 2020, 5:15:31 PM5/12/20
to singu...@lbl.gov, tu...@sylabs.io
What does hpcng mean?

David Trudgian

May 12, 2020, 5:30:30 PM5/12/20
to singularity, tu...@sylabs.io
Per the original email in the thread...

a community-focused Github organization led by Greg. Sylabs will continue to actively participate in the development, support, and management of the open source Singularity project moving forward, with Dave Trudgian at Sylabs remaining as the release manager.

The GitHub organization hpcng is...

The Next Generation of High Performance Computing

Community repository for new HPC technologies and initiatives

What does hpcng mean?

May 12, 2020, 5:34:59 PM5/12/20
to singu...@lbl.gov, tu...@sylabs.io
Ah, thank you for the details. To... infinity and beyond! Engage! :)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lbl.gov/d/msgid/singularity/48a511bf-a4f9-43ef-aa65-0d2cf007f64a%40lbl.gov.