Hybrid is still the wrong choice

Fran Gelfand

Sep 24, 2020, 8:58:39 AM9/24/20
to Ellen Ben-Naim, Steve Boerigter, Christine Bernstien, Melanie Colgan, Dawn Jalbert, Kurt Steinhaus, public....@laschools.net
LAPS Board Members and Dr. Steinhaus,

Once again I urge you to cancel plans to transition to the hybrid model of education.

The following two questions illustrate why LAPS is not yet ready.

1. How can hybrid be "the least worst" when you have not even defined what hybrid is?

Our very own teachers have repeatedly argued that hybrid is in fact the worst pedagogical model.  LAPS has not yet defined what a hybrid model will look like in our own schools.  Two days a week in-person learning and three days of remote learning?  4 half days of in-person` learning?  Tele-casting classes?  How can you possibly call it "least worst" if you don't know what it is?

2. How can LAPS proceed with a transition to hybrid when there is no reverse transition plan?

Months ago, you discussed having a reverse transition plan, to identify criteria for moving back from in-person to hybrid and hybrid to remote learning.  This is a complex situation that absolutely requires a contingency plan.   You have defined criteria for closing classrooms and schools, but at what point would it be best to close all the schools?  A week ago, Governor Lujan Grisham said, “If you're a county that started because you could, or that can now start and your positivity rates creep up, we are not rolling back the hybrid in person learning.”  Do you agree with the governor's position?  Will LAPS continue operating in hybrid learning regardless of COVID-19 rates in the county?  Don't we need a contingency plan?

I believe the hybrid model is still the wrong choice for our children and community, and I urge you to reconsider the transition plan.

Thank you,

Fran Gelfand
Parent of a 4th grader at Chamisa, 6th grader at Chamisa, 8th grader at LAMS

Message has been deleted
This conversation is locked